PAN Card in India (for NRIs in US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAN Card in India (for NRIs in US)

Hello, It is possible to apply for PAN Card in India for NRI, Form NRIs who are Indian citizens have to apply for a PAN by filling Form 49A, while NRIs with citizenship of another country need to fill up Form 49AA. These forms can be accessed, filled and submitted online through the websites of UTIITSL and NSDL. On submitting the form, an acknowledgement copy with a 15 digit number is generated, which needs to be sent to the designated address along with other documents. Fees is Rs 989.
    FinFyi.com

Comment

I know this is an old thread and probably rules have changed since this thread originally started...but I have a PAN number and misplaced my PAN card and was trying to request for a new PAN card. I went to the TIN-NSDL web site. Tried going through various sites for eg:, to follow the instructions. Last I was in India was in 2017 and have never applied for an AADHAAR card where the rules changed in 2019 where you didn't have to be a resident to apply for an AADHAAR. Now my issue is that to request for a lost PAN card, the TIN-NSDL site is mandating AADHAAR. And to get AADHAAR, I need to be in India. Has anyone else been in this situation and help me to know if there is any other alternative to request for a replacement PAN card while being in the US? Thanks in advance.

Comment

I am in a similar boat right now. My PAN Card is without my middle name while my bank a/cs are with Middle name (PAN Card issued in 1990s when I used to be in India). Therefore I can't authenticate my IT Return now (I did till last year through netbanking) with the new IT Deptt website checking and finding that name in bank different with PAN. I therefore need to add my middle name in PAN... simple process: just apply with documents to NSDL.

But... I now live in USA, an US citizen and No Aadhaar or India mobile number (have not been to India for several years). I can't apply online in nsdl as it is only for Aadhaar holders.

Change of details is a simple process, but applying for it without Aadhaar is soooo difficult. I plan to try "offline" or paper application and see if that works. But I am not sure how it will go since all of my details since 1990s have changed... address, phone, email id, citizenship: everything.

f anyone has navigated this already, will appreciate sharing their experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ravi1985 View Post
          I am an NRI resident in the US. I have some land and house in India. To buy or sell land, and to operate bank/credit-card account in India, and to buy/sell stocks in India (including DEMAT), they ask for the PAN Card (personal account number).

What are the implications of applying for PAN in India?

If I apply for and get a PAN card, am I required to file income taxes in India (in addition to the US)?
          PAN Card is an all India Permanent Account Number issued by the Income Tax Department of India under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). It is issued to all identifiable juristic entities under the Income Tax Act, 1961. Its primary purpose is to keep a track of all the monetary transaction of high-net-worth individuals (HNWI).

PAN is an universal identification for all financial transactions above specified limits. It is a 10-character alphanumeric identifier which is unique for every individual, hence also serves as an important identification proof. It is valid for life-time of the PAN holder. As its not a nationality proof, it iss not affected by the change of address.

Why Do NRIs Need PAN Card?

If you are an NRI, it is mandatory for you to possess a PAN card if you make any financial transaction in India that are listed below:
          • Receive income in India in the form of salary or professional fees, which is taxable.
          • Opening a bank account.
          • Opening demat account.
          • Applying for issue of credit card or debit card.
          • Investing in Mutual Funds.
          • Sell or purchase property or assets.
          • Applying for a loan
          • Applying for a passport or visa
          • Applying Foreign remittance
          • Deposit or withdraw with bank exceeding Rs. 50,000.
          • As per SEBI, PAN card is required to trade in Indian stock market.

How to Apply for PAN CARD?

One can apply for PAN by submitting the prescribed PAN application to the authorized PAN agency of the district or through online submission to NSDL along with 2 face-photos, ID proof, address proof and fee. In case of Re-print (re-issue), a photocopy of the old PAN is also required.
          • Application for PAN card is to be made along with the Form 49AA which you can submit online as well as via post. Link to Form 49AA - https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/form49AA.html
          • After submitting the form online, you will receive a unique 15-digit acknowledgement number for future reference of your application submitted.
          • After the form is submitted take the print out and attach two passport size photographs in the space provided in the acknowledgement. Sign the acknowledgement, this signature will be used as your identification for future transaction against your PAN card.
          • Attach the necessary documents (i) proof of identity (ii) proof of address (iii) 2 color passport photographs with white background and send the filled in acknowledgment form to the following address -
            Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune 411016

Super scribe the envelope with
          'APPLICATION FOR PAN - Acknowledgement Number'
          (e.g. 'APPLICATION FOR PAN - 881010100000097').

What is the Fee for Applying PAN Card?

PAN application processing fee for Form 49AA is 105.00 INR . If the address is outside India the fee is 971.00 INR. Payment can be done via check, demand draft, credit/debit card or net banking

Application Processing Time: It takes about one month to receive the card and is sent by registered India Post. Within 15 working days of receiving your coupon number, the actual card will be delivered to your address., depending on the country you reside in.

Points to remember while filling Form 49AA -
          1. AO Code is the International Taxation Directorate that is applicable.
          2. A foreign address can be filled in if the applicant does not have any Indian address of their own. Additional courier charges are applicable in this case.
          For any help call on pan card customer contact

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X