NR- for Tax file as Married filing jointly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NR- for Tax file as Married filing jointly

I am looking out for suggestion and opinion.Sorry if this has been discussed before.

My fiance is currently in U.K. me in U.S.

We are thinking of going down to India in May and get court married. Our traditional ceremony will happen around mid January 2010.

Can we use the marriage certificate of May 2009 , to file my taxes jointly for financial year 2009?
    She wont be with me in U.S. in 2009 and will only join me in 2010.

Please let us know the steps/procedures we shall have to do with respect to this concern.

Thanks for your help,
    Ramesh.

If you are married, you can file it as a married person. IRS does consider it as a marriage. There is no special procedure.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks a bunch , txh1b!!!

So it is not required for her to be physically here in U.S. in 2009 , if I want to file as a married person...?

Regards

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I gather that to file jointly , I will need the ITIN of my wife. But she wil not join me until march-april of next yr.

if I am not able to get ITIN of my wife by April next year , can i send an ammedment later once I have the ITIN.

please give your commenta

TIA

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X