Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renouciation of Indian Citizenship and Indian documents

Hi everyone

I am a little confused about Indian Citizenship renunciation and OCI process and would appreciate any help with the following questions:

1. Can I start renunciations with citizenship certificate or need US passport to start the Indian citizenship renunciation process?

2. Do I also need to surrender my other Indian govt. documents, i.e., Aadhar, PAN, Driving License etc.?

3. Is there any place I need to update the status of my Indian documents so show I am not a citizen anymore?

Regarding #1 I could find some info on VFS which says passport copies required (in the list of documents), so want to be sure. Regarding #2 and #3 I could not find any information so any pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks
    SN7

Hi sn7,

You don't have to have a US passport to start the renunciation process.You can apply for your US Passport anytime. Per my knowledge you do not have to give up your Aadhar, PAN or DL. Important thing to remember.....do NOT give up any info/documents other than what is necessary for the renunciation. Once you give up your Indian Citizenship...I assume all other documents are null and void . You might need your Aadhar etc if you have any bank accounts ,property etc in India and if you intend to do something about them. Those will be your last forms of identification that you were an Indian Citizen. I'd hang on to them just incase.

Hope this helps but please remember this is not legal advice it's just my opinion. Please seek legal advice if in doubt.

Good Luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X