Reclaiming Indian Citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaiming Indian Citizenship

I have a query on reclaiming Indian Citizenship.

I live in New Zealand and planning on applying for NZ Citizenship and OCI shortly for myself and my family. I have plans to return permanently to India in future and apply for Indian Passport.

I know that a OCI has to wait for 5 years including a year stay in India to get back Indian Citizenship.

Currently to renounce a NZ Citizenship and to get back the Indian Passport the following has to be satisfied.

"He/she has the citizenship of at least one other foreign country at the time of applying for renunciation of New Zealand citizenship"

My question is Does India allow OCI's to apply for Indian Citizenship while they are holding Foreign Citizenship as i cannot surrender NZ Citizenship until i get Indian Citizenship. NZ internal affairs ministry will need the evidence of Indian Citizenship in order to process renunciation of New Zealand citizenship. Hope i'm clear with my question. I dont want to get stuck in a catch-22 situation.

Can i anyone please advise.
    Senthil

You must be a citizen of at least one country at any given time. Therefore, there is no problem in you being a citizen of New Zealand when you apply for Indian citizenship.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X