Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada PR Express Entry timelines

Hello,

I am considering applying for PR in Canada via "Express Entry" and there are a few things I was wondering about:
    1. If I get approved for a PR via Express entry, how soon do I need to travel to Canada and settle down there before they revoke the PR? I am currently residing in the US.
    2. How long does it normally take to get the PR from the start of the application online?
    3. If I have a visitor's visa to Canada and have traveled there a couple of times, does that count negatively during the PR process in any way?

It would be great to hear from anyone who has experience or knowledge of the Canada PR process, especially via Express Entry.

Thanks

Originally posted by im42 View Post
    Hello,

I am considering applying for PR in Canada via "Express Entry" and there are a few things I was wondering about:
    1. If I get approved for a PR via Express entry, how soon do I need to travel to Canada and settle down there before they revoke the PR? I am currently residing in the US.
    Once it's approved and you get the Confirmation of Permanent Residence and your passport with the resident visa (both are given at the same time), you have until the expiration date on your passport to enter Canada.

2. How long does it normally take to get the PR from the start of the application online?
    - You fill the application for Express Entry which puts you in the pool of applicants and if you're above the points (CRS) cutoff you get an invitation to apply for Permanent Residence. There's no timeline for this step, you could wait a couple of weeks to get an invitation or an entire year if your score it's too low, at which point you would have to fill the application again. You don't have to pay anything to apply, but you do have to have a valid language test (English or French) to apply and those expire in two years.

- Once you get the invitation you have 60 days to provide all the required documentation (medical exam, police certificate, education / work experience, proof of funds, etc..). You can reject the invitation if you think that you don't have a chance to get all the documents in time and go back in the pool to get invited in the next round (hopefully).

- After you provide all the documents and pay the fees then the CIC / IRCC evaluates all the documents which in most cases takes 6 months or less to give you a decision.

- If the decision is positive, then you send your passport to get the resident visa sticker on your passport, this should take less than a month get processed.

3. If I have a visitor's visa to Canada and have traveled there a couple of times, does that count negatively during the PR process in any way?
    There is no negative impact, I traveled to Canada multiple times before and even during the PR process.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has experience or knowledge of the Canada PR process, especially via Express Entry.

Thanks
    For reference, I filled the application around May last year, and got the resident visa on my passport late March

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X