please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help

Hi, i just want to know that if you have a criminal record, can you ever be a U.S citizen?

Cinthia,

It depends where the offenses occurred (U.S. or abroad), the types of offenses, and how long ago.

The short answer is "yes, maybe."

--Ray B

Originally posted by Cinthia View Post
    Hi, i just want to know that if you have a criminal record, can you ever be a U.S citizen?

Comment

The offensed happened here in the USA, in the end of the year in 2011. Commited a paper fraud. Driver licence, puerto rican papers.

Comment

It occured here in the US and in the end of the year of 2011. I committed a driver licence fraud. Used puerto rican papers.
        Originally posted by rayb View Post
        Cinthia,

It depends where the offenses occurred (U.S. or abroad), the types of offenses, and how long ago.

The short answer is "yes, maybe."

--Ray B

Comment

The next question, then, would be whether you obtained a U.S. Green Card, and if it is a 10-year Green Card?

If you don't have a Green Card, your questions might better be asked about obtaining Green Card status, rather than Citizenship, since the Green Card must precede an application for citizenship.

In the past, many Green Card holders have had offense problems which were adjudicated in court, convictions or other dispositions completed, and they continued to have Permanent Resident (Green Card) status with no problems.

But once applying for Naturalization, there is a risk that felony convictions can result in the start of "removal " or deportation.

--Ray B

The offensed happened here in the USA, in the end of the year in 2011. Commited a paper fraud. Driver licence, puerto rican papers.

Comment

please help

Thank you ray for responding back!! I dont have any papers, but i did marry a U.S CITIZEN

Comment

Cinthia,

Then U.S. citizenship is not your immediate goal, but Permanent Resident (Green Card) status is your first challenge.

With what visa status are you in the U.S.? You must have entered with a valid visa, even if currently expired, to be petitioned by your husband and to have your status converted to Permanent Resident.

--Ray B

Thank you ray for responding back!! I dont have any papers, but i did marry a U.S CITIZEN

Comment

please help

Well actually its the other way around, i am a U.S citizen, my husband is the one who came here illegally..in 1999. We got married in 2007.

Comment

Cinthia,

You earlier posted that you married a U.S. citizen and that you had no papers. Now it seems to be the other way around.

So if you are a U.S. citizen and your husband is an undocumented entrant, with no record of legal visa entry, you cannot petition him nor adjust his status to Permanent Resident without obtaining a waiver because of his undocumented status.

--Ray B

Well actually its the other way around, i am a U.S citizen, my husband is the one who came here illegally..in 1999. We got married in 2007.

Comment

please help

Hi, sorry ray for confusing you, i tried to talk for my husband. I actuallydid a petitio that was approved. The I-30

Comment

An approved I-130 petition is only the first step, and that's the easy part, since the only requirement is proof of marriage and martial relationship.

But the Green Card will only be issued after a legal visa entry to the U.S. or approval of a waiver request for his undocumented status.

From what country is your husband?

--Ray B

Hi, sorry ray for confusing you, i tried to talk for my husband. I actuallydid a petitio that was approved. The I-30

Comment

please help

Well thats my issue, i dont know what is the next step. I dont want him to get deported because of his criminal issues. He is from Ecuador.

Comment

There are some missing pieces in the information you have provided in this thread.

Your husband has no criminal history, other than undocumented entry, unless he was charged with document fraud when entering the U.S. as a Puerto Rican. If his use of **** identify paperwork was discovered at entry, he would not have been allowed to enter the U.S., so he must not have been discovered.

If your husband returns to Ecuador to be processed as a legal immigrant, his undocumented stay in the U.S. may require a waiver request after his Embassy interview. If his use of Puerto Rican identity documents has not come to the attention of USCIS, it may never be an issue unless your husband provides this information at an Embassy interview.

If the information about your husband's illegal entry with someone else's identify document is already known to our immigration agency, he certainly can't deny it and will have to suffer the consequences of using false documents.

--Ray B

Well thats my issue, i dont know what is the next step. I dont want him to get deported because of his criminal issues. He is from Ecuador.

Comment

please help

Well this what happened, he lives with me in nj. He was caught in the dmv with Puerto rican papers. He got arrested, did probation for 2 years and community service, but didnt go to jail. He somewhat is helping with imm. With info about the guy that sold him the papers , but the guy fled already so mu husband cant get the u-visa.They only gave him a work permit that expired and a ssn. Now i want to know what is the next step to take for him not to not get deported and for him to get permanent residency. He has a criminal record of only having a driver licence out of 9 counts the judge took off. Because he used driver licence, credit card, birth certificate and so on. And with a lawyer he stayed with only driver licence.

Comment

Your husband has apparently started some involvement with a "U" visa, "immigrant victim of crime."

If your husband began a cooperative arrangement with USCIS or "ICE," based on his willingness to assist in the prosecution of someone else charged with a crime, then he needs to try and complete that process, unless it has now terminated.

--Ray B

Well this what happened, he lives with me in nj. He was caught in the dmv with Puerto rican papers. He got arrested, did probation for 2 years and community service, but didnt go to jail. He somewhat is helping with imm. With info about the guy that sold him the papers , but the guy fled already so mu husband cant get the u-visa.They only gave him a work permit that expired and a ssn. Now i want to know what is the next step to take for him not to not get deported and for him to get permanent residency. He has a criminal record of only having a driver licence out of 9 counts the judge took off. Because he used driver licence, credit card, birth certificate and so on. And with a lawyer he stayed with only driver licence.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X