Shoplifting Arrest - L-1 stamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting Arrest - L-1 stamping

I have a shoplifting arrest (petty theft / misdemeanour / $75) which was dismissed after Pre-Trial intervention (PTI) where i completed the required hours of salvation army service and completed the 11 month period required etc. After this my criminal attorney got the records sealed.

Now when I spoke to the immigration lawyer they said that even if it was dismissed the PTI involved admission of guilt which will always work against me.

I am on L-1 visa. All this happened in June 2008. In March 2009 (before the case was even dismissed ) my L-1 went for renewal and was (thankfully) renewed till March 2011. Now my questions are-

1)If I go to India for visa stamping I will say yes on the form to the fact that I was arrested. But what could be the consequences?
    2) Can my next L-1 renewal in March 2011 possibly be rejected ? The first one went OK even without the case being dismissed - now the case is dismissed and records are sealed.
    3) If I decide not to go to india next few years, will that be a problem i.e. is it mandatory to go for stamping every time a visa is renewed ?

Appreciate your advice in this matter.

Updates?

I am in a similar situation as you..... did this cause any problems during your visa renewal? Did it cause any delays and if yess how long?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X