Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class C misdemeanor for Shoplifting and H1-B visa

Hello:

Need your help. I am in the US (Texas) on a valid H1-B visa. I recently received a class C misdemeanor for shoplifting charges (it was just some groceries and I forgot to pay while on the phone. Duh!) FYI, I had already bought Diapers (much more expensive item) and then realized I still needed to do groceries. I forgot to pay. My fault.

Anyways, the cop gave me a Class C citation. The store person also told me I'd receive a letter (civil lawsuit demanding penalties in damage) from their law firm in a month or so.

My question is : How will my H1-B visa situation get affected, especially if I go out of the US and come back? Would it pose any problems while re-entering the US? Also, when my visa expires and I try to get it renewed, would it pose any issues with USCIS as I'd need to fill out a form (I think it's DS160 or something like that) where one has to declare if they were arrested for anything.

What are my options here and what is the risk that I am facing apart from financial charges/fines? And what's the way out?

Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciate it.
    Ankush

Class C misdemeanor for Shoplifting and H1-B visa

Hello:

Any response on the matter below? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Ankush

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X