Canadian looking to work in Florida as a Real Estate Agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian looking to work in Florida as a Real Estate Agent

I'm a Canadian looking to work in Florida as a Real Estate Agent.

Hi a Canadian resident and I want to move to Florida and work there as a Real Estate Agent. There’s a 63hr course I have to take and some fees but for me to be even take the exam at the end to get my license I need a Social Security Number. I’ve talked to some brokerages and Realtors are independent contractors.

Is there a Visa I can apply for so I can get my license and work as a Licensed agent in Florida? How long is the process if it’s even at all possible?

Originally posted by Matryx View Post

Hi a Canadian resident and I want to move to Florida and work there as a Real Estate Agent. There’s a 63hr course I have to take and some fees but for me to be even take the exam at the end to get my license I need a Social Security Number. I’ve talked to some brokerages and Realtors are independent contractors.

Is there a Visa I can apply for so I can get my license and work as a Licensed agent in Florida? How long is the process if it’s even at all possible?
    Not sure how long it will take now but it is starting to get harder and harder since trump today signed a new executive order pretty much limiting the amount of work visas that will be issued

Comment

You probably will need to be sponsored by a company for a business visa. I am not sure if Realtors fall under the categories that can apply for a TN visa, which is what Canadians frequently use to work in the US.

As a Canadian, you may enter the US without a visa, but are not allowed to work in the US.

I'm not sure if a TIN (Tax ID Number) may be able to help you do the course.

(Fellow Canadian here)
      Not legal advice.

Comment

Real estate sales agent is not a TN occupation

Comment

Hi a Canadian resident
          Just noticed the above. TN is for Canadian citizens, but does not apply in your case because of the job you are applying for.

As a Canadian PR, you can enter the US but is not allowed to work there.

Ask the company if they can sponsor you for another kind of visa. Unfortunately I don't know the options.
          Not legal advice.

Comment

It seems the company may be able to apply for an H1b for you.

Not legal advice.

Comment

Hello
              I recently wanted to move to another country but did not know how to do it, immigration to another country is good, but what to do if you have no idea where to live there or buy a house

Comment

Trump is long gone, and did the regulations change? I also want to enlarge my presence in the US, and an additional working place in the US would be cool. My base job is in Canada, but I want to have like a hustle in the US. I want to see how well it goes and maybe move there. It was a good time, and I learned a lot there. The laws are significantly different, but the physiological side of the work is the same.​

Comment

Hi a Canadian resident and I want to move to Florida and work there as a Real Estate Agent. There’s a 63hr course I have to take and some fees but for me to be even take the exam at the end to get my license I need a Social Security Number Chocowinity, NC Real Estate & Homes for Sale. I’ve talked to some brokerages and Realtors are independent contractors.

As a Canadian resident looking to work as a real estate agent in Florida, there are certain requirements and considerations you should keep in mind. While I can provide some general information, it's important to consult with an immigration attorney or the appropriate authorities for the most accurate and up-to-date guidance regarding visas and work authorization.
                  1. Social Security Number (SSN): In the United States, a Social Security Number is typically required for various purposes, including employment and taxation. As an independent contractor real estate agent, you will likely need an SSN to apply for your license and work legally. To obtain an SSN, you will generally need work authorization in the United States.
                  2. Visa Options: The most common visa category for Canadian citizens looking to work in the United States is the TN (Trade NAFTA) visa. However, the TN visa is generally not applicable for real estate agents, as it is primarily designed for professionals in specific occupations listed in the NAFTA agreement. Therefore, it's important to explore other visa options that may be suitable for your situation.

a. E-2 Treaty Investor Visa: If you have a substantial investment in a U.S. business, you may be eligible for an E-2 visa. This visa is available for citizens of countries that have a treaty with the United States, including Canada. The E-2 visa allows you to work in the U.S. based on your investment. However, real estate agent activities may not always meet the criteria for an E-2 visa, so it's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney to assess your eligibility.

b. L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visa: If you are currently employed by a Canadian company with a U.S. presence, you may explore the L-1 visa. The L-1 visa allows intra-company transferees to work in the United States. However, this visa category typically requires you to have worked for the company for at least one year before being transferred to a U.S. branch or subsidiary.
                  1. Immigration Process: The length of the immigration process can vary depending on the specific visa category, individual circumstances, and any potential delays or additional requirements. Generally, the process can take several months or longer. Working with an experienced immigration attorney can help streamline the process and ensure that all necessary steps are followed correctly.

It's crucial to consult with an immigration attorney who specializes in U.S. immigration law to assess your specific situation, determine the appropriate visa category, and guide you through the application process. They will provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information based on your circumstances.

Please note that the information provided here is for general guidance purposes only and should not be considered legal advice.

Comment

I think it is easier to find a job these days through the agency

Comment

If you decide to become a real estate agent, I'd recommend doing courses because the competition in this sphere is really big. I know there are coaching programs. You can look through the FortuneBuilders reviews here. This is a good education company that can help you gain the needed knowledge and skills. Hope it helps.
                      Last edited by BNic; 09-20-2023, 07:51 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X