Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally Put Renewal Instead of Permission

Hi Forum,

Just a quick background. My wife was on an F1 visa allowing her to work after graduating. We're now applying for an adjustment of status, new EAD card, etc. We filled out the numerous amounts of paperwork I-485, I-130, I-765, etc. (Should have just used a lawyer).
    Anyways, USCIS received everything on June 9th. I noticed there was a delay in getting the biometric notice, I figured something might be wrong.
    We've since realized that on the I-765, we checked "Renewal of my permission to accept employment" rather than "Permission to accept employment." However, this is apparently wrong because we're not renewing her old EAD card based on her being a student, we're trying to get a new EAD card based on her new status as my wife.

Beyond sending a letter to USCIS, is there anything we can do? Does anyone know how long this will delay the processing of the application? Of course we messed up on the document we need the soonest.

I was in the same situation and checked Renewal instead of Permission to accept employment. They received my application on March 08 and I realized my mistake around 80 days... I sent them a letter explaining the mistake. Didn't hear from them and nothing got updated online. After a long wait, I decided to raise a service request. I got my card approved on July 17th (it took much more than 90 days but I'm not sure it was because of this mistake). I was worried but I think that they had processed it correctly anyway because on the receipt it showed the right category and I was never asked for a RFE.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X