Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling EAD form I-765, item 11/ abandoned H-1B? Please help

Dear All,

So glad that I can finally discover this forum, and I am looking forward to hearing your kind advises for my hyper-questions as follows:

When I was still in H-4 last year, a company proposed to hire me and filed a H-1B on my behalf. However, the company couldn?t succeed to connect me to their client since; I did wait for them for quite a long while, and I finally left the US for Europe for several months. My H1-B was finally approved (I checked with the INS phone service later) during my absence. This year I retuned to the US as F1 (with a new I-94).

1/ Can I consider that my H1-B was abandoned? As I?d never worked for nor got pay from that company, and they?d never contacted since; or should I consider myself still in a valid H1-B status?

2/ My husband now got his I-140 approved, and we are preparing for the Change of Status (I-485?). Can I alone apply for EAD and AP while my husband does not? -- He wants to maintain his valid H1-B (till 2004) with the same employer, only he wonders whether he can travel outside the US and return with his H1-B, without having an AP nor an EAD?

3/ In the EAD form I-765, item 11: ?Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from INS? Yes (If yes, complete below, INS Office, Results?) or NO?. To my understanding, H1-B is NOT an ?employment authorization? but a ?Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker? Should I choose NO?

4/ Should I choose YES, and give the INS Office name where my H1-B was filed on the second line, and on the third line, give a reference for an attaching explanation letter for my abandoned H1-B case?

Can anybody help? Many thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Filling EAD form I-765, item 11/ abandoned H-1B? Please hel

Not Legal Advice:

1/ Can I consider that my H1-B was abandoned? As I?d never worked for nor got pay from that company, and they?d never contacted since; or should I consider myself still in a valid H1-B status?

Unless you had an H1B Visa in your passport and were admitted by the INS under the terms of that visa then you have never been in H1B Status. If you came here on an F1 visa then you are in F1 non immigrant status.

Since you never had an H1 you could not have abandoned it. The I129 petition that the company filed may still be valid and you may be able to file for H1 status based on it if you do so within the Fiscal Quota year for which it was approved.

2/ Can I alone apply for EAD and AP while my husband does not?

Your husband can still apply for an EAD/AP. The fact that he has these documents has no effect on his status. His H1 is still valid and he is still in H1 Status as long as he is still working ONLY at the job the H1 was approved for. If he works in any other other job (even part time) or does contracting then he will need EAD and when he travels he will need to use the AP to re-enter the US. If he maintains H1 status he can travel and re-enter on the H1.

However you can still apply for them on your own as you will also be an "applicant to adjust status" and there fore eligible. When you travel though you will need the Advanced Parole to come back. So don't leave home without it.

3/Item 11.

The answer is NO. You have never applied for Employment Authorisation (EAD).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X