Guide to EAD Expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to EAD Expedition

Hey guys! I recently had my EAD expedited and I wanted to share my experience with you all because I was all over the place doing research and couldn't find all the answers to my questions in one place.

Backstory: I filed for my green card through my US citizen husband, my forms were received by USCIS on 02/05/2019. I currently have DACA and my work permit is set to expire on 07/31/2019. The processing time for EAD went up to 7-8 months and I start to worry because I was not going to get my new work permit before my current one expires. I have been working since 2015 at the same company and I would lose my job if I didn't get my work permit in time so I called USCIS and spoke to someone and requested an expedition request (to be able to speak to someone you have to chose the option to check your case status and then the option that you do not have your receipt number).

Timeline:
    05/21/2019 Called USCIS and requested expedition
    05/28/2019 Email was sent by USCIS to request evidence. (I could not see the email in my inbox and did not know they sent it) Note: on that day, my case status changed to "Name changed", this just means that someone is working on your case and if you see that, they probably sent you the email.
    06/04/2019 Called USCIS because I thought they hadn't sent me anything in regards to the expedition request. The officer I spoke to notified me that they sent an email asking for more evidence and she gave me the fax information.
    06/05/2019 Sent fax with evidence (keep reading for a detailed list of evidence I sent)
    06/10/2019 Called USCIS to see if there was an update. Officer could not see anything and transferred me to a level 02 officer. Level 02 officer told me they don't show anything. That could have meant two things, they didn't receive my fax or they were working on it and didn't update it yet.
    06/11/2019 Resent the fax just to be safe.
    06/18/2019 New card is being produced!

Evidence:
    -Letter: Purchased an expedite letter from mypathtocitizenship.com for $59 and changed some things to make it personal. The letter basically stated that I would suffer financially because I would lose my income and that I could lose my home, wouldn't be able to pay credit card debt and would be in further credit card debt.
    - Letter from employer stating that it would be a financial loss for them as well as I am head of my department with no one to replace me
    - Income tax return
    - Mortgage statement showing how much my mortgage is since I said I could lose my home.
    - Expedia Report showing credit card debt since I said I have a lot of credit card debt to pay off and without a job I couldn't pay it and would be in further debt.

Obviously, my situation isn't exactly the same as everyone else and the evidence I used might not be useful for everyone. If you do not own a home, you can send a copy of you lease agreement. The evidence is to prove why you need your work permit and what would happen if you do not get it soon. Everyone works to make money, so show them what you need money for.

Couple of helpful hints:
    - Don't be afraid to call them. if I hadn't called I wouldn't have known they sent me the email.
    - If you send your evidence and don't hear back within a week or two, resend it because maybe your fax didn't go through or someone could even have lost it.
    - Don't sit back and wait! Be proactive!
    - I hear of a lot of people going through their congressman to get the expedite request in, I personally think you don't need to as you can call and do it yourself. I'm not the type of person to trust people to do things for me, so whatever I can do myself I will do.

Good luck!

Update: My card come today

Comment

Thank you for the tips!
      I am in desperate need of my AP to visit my mother. I don't know how I could use that to request an expedite.
      Salt Lake City-UT
      07/24/18- Documents received
      11/16- I-485,765 and 131rejected
      12/22- New I-485, 765 and 131 sent
      12/27- Documents delivered at 10 am (UPS)
      01/14- Credit Card was charged
      01/14- text messages for I-485 and I-131
      01/22- Received form I-765 back. Got rejected due to incorrect fee??
      01/23-Submitted I-765 again.
      01/31- Early Biometrics appointment
      02/01- Fingerprint Review was completed
      07/30- case is ready to be scheduled for ...
      08/31-EAD in hands
      10/22- Interview (approved)

Comment

Originally posted by vgomes View Post
        Hey guys! I recently had my EAD expedited and I wanted to share my experience with you all because I was all over the place doing research and couldn't find all the answers to my questions in one place.

Backstory: I filed for my green card through my US citizen husband, my forms were received by USCIS on 02/05/2019. I currently have DACA and my work permit is set to expire on 07/31/2019. The processing time for EAD went up to 7-8 months and I start to worry because I was not going to get my new work permit before my current one expires. I have been working since 2015 at the same company and I would lose my job if I didn't get my work permit in time so I called USCIS and spoke to someone and requested an expedition request (to be able to speak to someone you have to chose the option to check your case status and then the option that you do not have your receipt number).

Timeline:
        05/21/2019 Called USCIS and requested expedition
        05/28/2019 Email was sent by USCIS to request evidence. (I could not see the email in my inbox and did not know they sent it) Note: on that day, my case status changed to "Name changed", this just means that someone is working on your case and if you see that, they probably sent you the email.
        06/04/2019 Called USCIS because I thought they hadn't sent me anything in regards to the expedition request. The officer I spoke to notified me that they sent an email asking for more evidence and she gave me the fax information.
        06/05/2019 Sent fax with evidence (keep reading for a detailed list of evidence I sent)
        06/10/2019 Called USCIS to see if there was an update. Officer could not see anything and transferred me to a level 02 officer. Level 02 officer told me they don't show anything. That could have meant two things, they didn't receive my fax or they were working on it and didn't update it yet.
        06/11/2019 Resent the fax just to be safe.
        06/18/2019 New card is being produced!

Evidence:
        -Letter: Purchased an expedite letter from mypathtocitizenship.com for $59 and changed some things to make it personal. The letter basically stated that I would suffer financially because I would lose my income and that I could lose my home, wouldn't be able to pay credit card debt and would be in further credit card debt.
        - Letter from employer stating that it would be a financial loss for them as well as I am head of my department with no one to replace me
        - Income tax return
        - Mortgage statement showing how much my mortgage is since I said I could lose my home.
        - Expedia Report showing credit card debt since I said I have a lot of credit card debt to pay off and without a job I couldn't pay it and would be in further debt.

Obviously, my situation isn't exactly the same as everyone else and the evidence I used might not be useful for everyone. If you do not own a home, you can send a copy of you lease agreement. The evidence is to prove why you need your work permit and what would happen if you do not get it soon. Everyone works to make money, so show them what you need money for.

Couple of helpful hints:
        - Don't be afraid to call them. if I hadn't called I wouldn't have known they sent me the email.
        - If you send your evidence and don't hear back within a week or two, resend it because maybe your fax didn't go through or someone could even have lost it.
        - Don't sit back and wait! Be proactive!
        - I hear of a lot of people going through their congressman to get the expedite request in, I personally think you don't need to as you can call and do it yourself. I'm not the type of person to trust people to do things for me, so whatever I can do myself I will do.

Good luck!
        Is your application at the NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER or is it a different service center?

Comment

I requested an Expedited Processing for my I-765 both by myself and via the Congressman office. I faxed over the supporting documents on June 10th. On June 27th, the Congressman office emailed me and said that USCIS has approved the expedited processing request. However, in between, I received an RFE on form I-485. Since June 27th, I have not heard anything. Case status still shows "Card was received". Do you think I should put in the expedited processing request again?

Comment

Originally posted by nugget29 View Post
            I requested an Expedited Processing for my I-765 both by myself and via the Congressman office. I faxed over the supporting documents on June 10th. On June 27th, the Congressman office emailed me and said that USCIS has approved the expedited processing request. However, in between, I received an RFE on form I-485. Since June 27th, I have not heard anything. Case status still shows "Card was received". Do you think I should put in the expedited processing request again?
            We seem to be in kind of the same situation;

Marriage based AOS, i-485, i-765
            2/22/19 Case Received
            3/14/19 Finger print review completed
            6/5/19 Request for initial evidence mailed
            6/7/19 Request for EAD expedite due to financial loss
            6/10/19 Email from USCIS case cannot move forward until RIFE is received
            7/1/19 Request for evidence received by USCIS
            7/9/19 Request for EAD expedite due to financial loss

Yesterday in the mail I received the same request for initial evidence. The date on the letter was post marked July 15. Even though last week I spoke to an agent over the phone and he said my account does show they received my updated information. They asked for another copy of my birth certificate. My lawyer suspected they didn't like the fact that it was handwritten. So my parents had to get a typed one from the records office in my home town. The other piece of information they needed was another i-485. Not entirely sure why but my lawyer printed out a new one filled it out and I signed it. So since 6/5 my account has been on hold and hasn't had any movement or progress. I'm going to call again this morning and see what the issue is. Getting real impatient at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachull12 View Post

We seem to be in kind of the same situation;

Marriage based AOS, i-485, i-765
              2/22/19 Case Received
              3/14/19 Finger print review completed
              6/5/19 Request for initial evidence mailed
              6/7/19 Request for EAD expedite due to financial loss
              6/10/19 Email from USCIS case cannot move forward until RIFE is received
              7/1/19 Request for evidence received by USCIS
              7/9/19 Request for EAD expedite due to financial loss

Yesterday in the mail I received the same request for initial evidence. The date on the letter was post marked July 15. Even though last week I spoke to an agent over the phone and he said my account does show they received my updated information. They asked for another copy of my birth certificate. My lawyer suspected they didn't like the fact that it was handwritten. So my parents had to get a typed one from the records office in my home town. The other piece of information they needed was another i-485. Not entirely sure why but my lawyer printed out a new one filled it out and I signed it. So since 6/5 my account has been on hold and hasn't had any movement or progress. I'm going to call again this morning and see what the issue is. Getting real impatient at this point.
              Hi, I actually just received an update on my EAD this morning (as I was pulling my hair out yesterday).
              My I-765 just changed to "Case was approved" and the little updated activity said they are ordering my new EAD card.

So my timeline is:
              Concurrent Filing I-485, I-765, I-131
              April 19, 2019 - NOA
              April 15, 2019 - PD
              May 14, 2019 - Biometrics
              May 30, 2019 - Requested Expedited Processing for EAD card due to financial loss
              June 27, 2019 - RFIE request from USCIS
              July 3, 2019 - Sent RFE to USCIS
              July 4, 2019 - USCIS confirmed they have received RFE
              July 18, 2019 - I-485 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
              July 19, 2019 - I-765 is approved / New Card is being produced

It seems like if they are asking for RFIE, they are processing your case. Even though multiple USCIS customer service reps have told me that the processing of form I-485 and I-765 should not overlap, but I don't believe that. It does seem like they need to look at or process the I-485 before approving the I-765. Have you tried talking to Tier 2 USCIS officers or reaching out to Congressman to see why they keep on requesting RFE? Congressman offices really help.

*This is my opinion from my own experience only and is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by vgomes View Post
                Update: My card come today
                Thanks very helpful advice. I wonder if Advance Parole can be expedited as well if your work depends on it? I have EAD extended by 180 days automatically because I filed for renewal but ability to travel to Europe is closely tied to my job.
                02-28-18 - Priority date.
                03-10-18 - 4 I-797 NOA letters - by mail.
                03-26-18 - RFIE for I-864
                04-06-18 - We received RFIE for i-485
                04-12-18 - Fingerprints review completed we work on i-485 and i-765
                07-20-18 - EAD Card ordered
                07-29-18 - EAD Card received
                08-04-18 - Scheduled for interview

Comment

Originally posted by nugget29 View Post

Hi, I actually just received an update on my EAD this morning (as I was pulling my hair out yesterday).
                  My I-765 just changed to "Case was approved" and the little updated activity said they are ordering my new EAD card.

So my timeline is:
                  Concurrent Filing I-485, I-765, I-131
                  April 19, 2019 - NOA
                  April 15, 2019 - PD
                  May 14, 2019 - Biometrics
                  May 30, 2019 - Requested Expedited Processing for EAD card due to financial loss
                  June 27, 2019 - RFIE request from USCIS
                  July 3, 2019 - Sent RFE to USCIS
                  July 4, 2019 - USCIS confirmed they have received RFE
                  July 18, 2019 - I-485 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview
                  July 19, 2019 - I-765 is approved / New Card is being produced

It seems like if they are asking for RFIE, they are processing your case. Even though multiple USCIS customer service reps have told me that the processing of form I-485 and I-765 should not overlap, but I don't believe that. It does seem like they need to look at or process the I-485 before approving the I-765. Have you tried talking to Tier 2 USCIS officers or reaching out to Congressman to see why they keep on requesting RFE? Congressman offices really help.

*This is my opinion from my own experience only and is not legal advice.
                  Awesome congratulations so glad to here this! You can finally get a job what a relief. Thank you so much for your advice and I appreciate it since your timeline and journey is somewhat similar to mine. Definitely helps when you see others who are being successful! I hope you hear about you interview soon. Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rachull12 View Post

Awesome congratulations so glad to here this! You can finally get a job what a relief. Thank you so much for your advice and I appreciate it since your timeline and journey is somewhat similar to mine. Definitely helps when you see others who are being successful! I hope you hear about you interview soon. Good luck!!!
                    For sure and thank you.
                    And definitely reach out to your Congressman and Senator offices for help. Them contacting USCIS really pushed things forward.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X