Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC Questions - Approximate Time Required

Hi,

I am thinking about applying for GC and have few questions.
    I am on H1B for last 3 years.

1] How long does it take to get a GC (approximate time)?
    2] My wife is also in US on separate Visa and working for another employer.
    When my employer files for my GC, will that be for me only OR it can be filed for my wife and me, both?
    3] How long does it take to get a GC for my family members i.e my parents?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Dumb_Dude View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking about applying for GC and have few questions.
    I am on H1B for last 3 years.

1] How long does it take to get a GC (approximate time)?
    Depends on country of chargeability and preference (EB3, EB2, EB1, etc). Worst case scenario: apply today in EB3 category, and you're a citizen of India - you're looking at about 10 to 11 years of waiting. Apply today on EB2 as a citizen of any country but China or India - six months.

2] My wife is also in US on separate Visa and working for another employer.
    When my employer files for my GC, will that be for me only OR it can be filed for my wife and me, both?
    Both of you. Actually, you will get your GC as employment-based, she will as a derivative of you. Depending on country of citizenship of each one of you, it may make sense for both to apply, or only one (depending if her employer is also willing to sponsor her). Say - if you're both from India, would make sense for both to apply (in case one of your applications is denied). If you or her can fit the previous criteria for EB2 - then than one should apply, carry the other one along for the ride.

3] How long does it take to get a GC for my family members i.e my parents?
    Thanks in advance.
    At least five years. GC holders CANNOT sponsor their parents. Once you have your GC - apply for naturalization *after five years as a resident*. Then as a US citizen you can apply for a GC for your parents, and they should get it within six months/one year. But you cannot sponsor *each and everyone* in your familiy - forget about getting a GC for sister, brother, uncle, etc.

Do some reading on this site - there is a lot of information for you to read. Come back with specific questions AFTER doing some reading.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey_mouse View Post
      Depends on country of chargeability and preference (EB3, EB2, EB1, etc). Worst case scenario: apply today in EB3 category, and you're a citizen of India - you're looking at about 10 to 11 years of waiting. Apply today on EB2 as a citizen of any country but China or India - six months.
      Not entirely true. The country of citizenship does usually not matter (except in rare circumstances). It is determined by your country of birth.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X