Immigration Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Reform

Does anybody know how this Immigration Reform is going to affect employment based green card processing, if at all it's going to affect.

It is not even a bill at this stage. It is too early to say what exactly it will include and whether it will pass. But overall, it should be favorable towards employment based immigration.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      But overall, it should be favorable towards employment based immigration.
      And there is a good reason to think so. Most of the legislators involved have made it very clear that they would like to see a solution to the current backlog of legal immigrants first. If there will be a legal path to citizenships for those whoe have came to the U.S. while actively and on purpose breaking the law, they will be served only after the last legal immigrant has received their greencard.

That means that if the liberal side of the spectrum wants a solution for illegal immigrants, the conservative side of the spectrum will demand that all those approved I-140 based immigrants will get their greencards first. Which, in turn, will most likely mean a temporary break in the statute of limitations on employment based greencards. Which means that everyones priority date will become current, at once. Which means that USCIS will need to hire a lot of extra workers to handle the case load.

Personally I think that not a single illegal immigrant should even be allowed to apply for an EAD while many people from India and China are still waiting for their GC. Especially those waiting 10+ years who's only crime is being born in the wrong country. Again, that's just a personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by nicoeppersma View Post
        Which means that everyones priority date will become current, at once.

Finger crossed

Comment

Originally posted by bakulg View Post
          Finger crossed
          Yes, but so far there are no indications that this will happen. If both sides will get close to an agreement (or even get to an agreement) a hint will be that USCIS will all of a sudden hire a lot more adjudicators since they will be flooded with I-485s (as long as they are still working on the DREAM Act wave of EAD applications).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X