Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden name in GC and SSN

Hi,

Please help urgently on the issue. I have applied for GC and very recently realized that in form G325 I filled in
    my Mother's name after marriage instead of maiden name, however in my SSN that I applied a few years back,
    I had filled in my mother's maiden name.

I believe I will have to update SSN status after receiving GC so should I fill the
    maiden name as I had filled earlier?
    Also since name is G325 is different does it impact my GC?

Thanks.

If you are just now applying for your Green Card (Adjustment of Status), all your paperwork should be using your married name (unless you prefer to continue using your maiden name).

Once you have the Green Card in your married name, you should go to an SSA office and update your SSN record with your married name.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Tintin123 View Post
    Hi,

Please help urgently on the issue. I have applied for GC and very recently realized that in form G325 I filled in
    my Mother's name after marriage instead of maiden name, however in my SSN that I applied a few years back,
    I had filled in my mother's maiden name.

I believe I will have to update SSN status after receiving GC so should I fill the
    Also since name is G325 is different does it impact my GC?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Ray. However the issue is with my Mother's name.
      In my SSN form I had filled her maiden name (name at birth explicitly asked in the form)
      However in AOS (G325 form), by mistake, I have filled and submitted her name after marriage
      and not maiden name (explicity asked in the form).

Hence the question.

I believe I will have to update SSN status after receiving GC so should I fill her
      Also since her name in G325 is different does it impact my GC?

Thanks.

Comment

If you are concerned that YOUR SSN RECORD has your mother's maiden name, it's not a problem.

If your G-325A form shows your mother's "MARRIED NAME" in the parents' section, don't worry about it, as it's a common error and not considered as critical. When I submit packages for Afghans, the maiden and married names are sometimes the same because they sometimes marry cousins whose family names are the same, or because of a similarity of surnames in the culture.

I think you are over-analyzing, don't have a problem, and need to save your worries for more serious issues.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Tintin123 View Post
        Thanks Ray. However the issue is with my Mother's name.
        In my SSN form I had filled her maiden name (name at birth explicitly asked in the form)
        However in AOS (G325 form), by mistake, I have filled and submitted her name after marriage
        and not maiden name (explicity asked in the form).

Hence the question.

I believe I will have to update SSN status after receiving GC so should I fill her
        Also since her name in G325 is different does it impact my GC?

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Ray. I was really concerned since it explicitly asked for maiden name and my Mother's middle name and last name
          after marriage are different from maiden name. This is the same issue in the G325 GC form for my spouse even there
          I have filled in my Mother-in-Law's "Married Name" instead of maiden name.

But when we fill out our SSN forms, I will fill the correct maiden names there.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X