Questions on change of employment during GC processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on change of employment during GC processing

This must have been asked a lot of times before, but there are a few questions to which I am not sure what's a firm answer. Please help me out in figuring out the answers.

I have about 2 years and 9 months (October 2016) left in my H1. I have started the GC processing just today with my current company which means I have to get the Labor and I140 approved.

1. If my I140 gets approved, say an year before my current H1 expires, can I switch to a new company with a H1 transfer? In that case, wouldn't I be at a risk since I would have only one year before the new H1 expires and so I would have almost no time to file for the Labor?

2. If my I140 gets approved at a date closer to my current H1 expiry and I renew my H1 with the current company, can I switch to a new company with a H1 transfer and have them file my Labor and I140 again? Even in that case, wouldn't I be at risk if I get the new H1 renewal for only 1 year and so I still won't have time for Labor?

Given this, how do people manage to change jobs after getting an I140? If H1 transfer or renewals are only valid for 1 year, how can one switch to a new company and file for a GC? What are the safe options for me to switch to a new company and yet keep my chances for GC alive? I am looking for some ray of hope.

Thanks,
    Karthik

Securing Work

Originally posted by karthik729 View Post
    This must have been asked a lot of times before, but there are a few questions to which I am not sure what's a firm answer. Please help me out in figuring out the answers.

I have about 2 years and 9 months (October 2016) left in my H1. I have started the GC processing just today with my current company which means I have to get the Labor and I140 approved.

1. If my I140 gets approved, say an year before my current H1 expires, can I switch to a new company with a H1 transfer? In that case, wouldn't I be at a risk since I would have only one year before the new H1 expires and so I would have almost no time to file for the Labor?

2. If my I140 gets approved at a date closer to my current H1 expiry and I renew my H1 with the current company, can I switch to a new company with a H1 transfer and have them file my Labor and I140 again? Even in that case, wouldn't I be at risk if I get the new H1 renewal for only 1 year and so I still won't have time for Labor?

Given this, how do people manage to change jobs after getting an I140? If H1 transfer or renewals are only valid for 1 year, how can one switch to a new company and file for a GC? What are the safe options for me to switch to a new company and yet keep my chances for GC alive? I am looking for some ray of hope.

Thanks,
    Karthik
    When I was looking for work last year, it was extremely frustrating, since I had so many issues with my employment paper work, being an alien resident. If you haven't found anything remotely helpful, I suggest that you look at hound.com. I was able to find work within about a few months. I had no idea I was going to get work so fast. I thought I would be out of work for several months. I was happy to come across hound.com. Hound is the best option for those looking for international employment.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X