Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage before/during green card application - following to join benefits

Hi all,
    My boss spoke to me last week and asked if I would be interested in re-locating to New York for a promotion.
    I am very keen on the idea but do not want to move without my partner of two years.

Provided everything comes off as hoped and I get the job out there, our intention is to marry ASAP so that he could join me in the US.
    I understand that as I would move on an employment-based visa, provided that we are married before I get permanent residency, he would be entitled to following to join benefits and avoid having to wait up to 2 years for an immigration number.

What remains unclear to me are the two following points:

1) Would we have to be married before my work APPLIES for my visa or before the date on which permanent residency is granted?
    2) How long does the process normally take for a skilled worker visa to be approved?
    3) Is there a minimum period for which we would have to have been married for him to be granted following-to-join benefits?

I know that given the marriage would be organised at short notice, we would probably need to provide evidence to the US authorities that it is bona fide - we have plenty of examples we can send to back this up.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X