Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for GC

Hi all,

My company will sponsor my GC. I have a Masters from US + 4 yrs of exp + if i include my Research work (actual work for a company thru my university) it will be atleast 5 yrs (talked abt this to a career councellor).
    Statistically I have heard from my colleagues here that the company has changed its policy and are applying under (EB-3) even though some of them have 9 yrs exp. The Lawyers have mentioned that one can go external but the job description will be as is. so i have a feeling that the external lawyers will say the same (apply as EB-3).
    so is it good to go thru the company lawyers as they have more info or would going external be helpful? any info or this would be helpful?

Thanks,

Going externally or internally does not impact the EB category. This decision should involve evaluating the two options on an individual basis. I mean see if going internally reduces your out-of-pocket expenses (if the company pays for everything and their terms and condition for processing GC).

For GC EB category, there has been a lot of threads that say that "EB category is based on what the REAL JOB REQUIRES and NOT WHAT YOU HAVE". So if the job does not require an MS OR BS+5 yrs exp, it's going to be EB-3.

Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Hi DMX17,

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me how the filing works? My company lawyers are in Chicago and I work and live in Texas. So can i talk to the lawyer and request them to file at a specific center or its pretty much where they file and I have no say in it.

I know processing times can change drastically but still....

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by asterix_thegaul
        Hi DMX17,

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me how the filing works? My company lawyers are in Chicago and I work and live in Texas. So can i talk to the lawyer and request them to file at a specific center or its pretty much where they file and I have no say in it.

I know processing times can change drastically but still....

Thanks
        Do you need me to explain the PERM? I am not sure what you mean by filing.

A GC sponsorship is for future permanent job offer. In essence, you can work anywhere you want till you get your GC. Upon getting the GC, you should assume the role and responsibility that were presented in PERM application (unless you changed job under AC21 provision). PERM mentions the primary location of the job. The lawyers know about how this works. You can read more on immihelp webpage about how stuff (PERM/I-140/I-485/EAD/AP/AC21) works.

When you have your own lawyer and you are paying them, they should take care of you. Whereas, the company lawyer thinks about the company first and then you.
        Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

HI DMX17,

sorry for the confusion.
          what i meant to ask for is this, I have seen the processing times at different regions/locations and as of now vermont's processing dates are way behind compared to others (I know these things can change drastically). So if my company lawyers are in chicago, can i request them to file at a particular location (say texas or any other center instead)?

as for other information, thanks a lot.

Comment

The first step in many cases is to get the PERM (Labor certification) approved. Currently, this is filed at either Chicago or Atlanta (DOL) depending on the location of the job (state of employment).

Then, I-140 (and I-485 concurrently if eligible based on PD) is filed at a USCIS Processing Center based on the location of the job. I think I-140 may also be e-filed. So, processing center at which your petitions are processed depends on the job location. You don't get to choose the processing center.

Check USCIS website for specific details.
            Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X