Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does applying for ITIN cancel my employment authorization application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does applying for ITIN cancel my employment authorization application?

Hello.
    I have been calling USCIS only to be connected to a robot.
    I applied my adjustment of status and work authorization (SSN request include) at once. I have not heard back since everyone thinks it's normal. But here is my question:
    My husband asked me to apply for ITIN because according to the IRS representative I would need those numbers.
    But when I read on the web it says if I applied for ITIN, I would not be eligible for SSN.
    Does that mean applying for ITIN cancel or ruin my employment authorization?

No.

You are getting an ITIN to file tax returns because you currently don't have an SSN and aren't eligible for one yet (since you do not yet have employment authorization).

It doesn't affect your getting an EAD or getting an SSN once you have the EAD.

However, ITIN is a pain to apply for (you have to mail in your original passport, or go in person to one of few IRS centers that can certify passports the same day). If you don't have income, and you expect to get an SSN soon, it might be more convenient to skip applying for ITIN, and your husband can first file as Married Filing Separately (which doesn't need your ITIN) for now, and amend it to Married Filing Jointly when you get your SSN, or alternately file for an extension now and file once you get your SSN.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X