• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card processing after leaving USA

Country of Citizenship - India

Immigration Timeline:

Jan 2009

- I came to US on L-1B visa with Employer A. My wife accompanied me on L-1B.

Oct 2012

- I got my H-1B with Employer A. My wife status changed to H4.

Dec 2013

- Employer A filed PERM. Priority Date Dec 2013. Category EB3 (India).

Aug 2014

- I-140 approved.

Sep 2018

- I and my wife applied for Canada PR under Federal Skilled Workers program in Sep 2018.

Jul 2019

- We got our Canada PR.
    - Visited Canada to complete the landing process. Came back to US.

Aug 2019

- Employer B filed H-1B. Approved till Aug 2022.
    - I joined Employer B.

Feb 2021

- Employer filed Prevailing Wage Determination.
    - PERM expected to be filed later this year.

Now, Canada immigration laws require us to live in Canada for a minimum of 2 years within the first 5 years from the date of receiving our PR for us to be eligible to renew the PR when it expires.
    Therefore, I and my wife, along with our kids are planning to move to Canada. My Employer B is yet to confirm if they will be ok with me being an employee of their Canadian branch.

Questions:

1. If Employer B agrees to retain me and continue my GC process after I move to Canada, what are my options of coming back to US once I reach the I-485 stage?

2. In case I wanted to come back to US, will Employer B be able to extend my H-1B (no lottery) based on my previously approved I-140 while I am in Canada?

3. If my employer does not agree to retain me and I move to Canada at this time, can another US Employer file an H-1B transfer using my previously approved I-140 in case I want to come back to US in future?

PS: My PD is current but Employer A is not willing to file AOS for me. Hence, the questions.

Thank you!

Originally posted by pxarora View Post
    1. If Employer B agrees to retain me and continue my GC process after I move to Canada, what are my options of coming back to US once I reach the I-485 stage?
    GC process is independent of your current H1 - so it will continue even if you move to Canada. You just need to keep your H1B renewed so that you can return to USA using that visa.
    2. In case I wanted to come back to US, will Employer B be able to extend my H-1B (no lottery) based on my previously approved I-140 while I am in Canada?
    Yes.
    3. If my employer does not agree to retain me and I move to Canada at this time, can another US Employer file an H-1B transfer using my previously approved I-140 in case I want to come back to US in future?
    Yes, again you need to ensure you keep that petition renewed
    My PD is current but Employer A is not willing to file AOS for me. Hence, the questions.
    I guess you can file AOS yourself without any need any help of EmployerA.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Thank you.

When you say "You just need to keep your H1B renewed", how can I do that if I am not working for the US employer? If my current I797 expires, is there an option for me to get an H1B extension in the future via a different employer using my approved I-140 while I am not in US?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X