Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card question

Hi everyone.
    I am a software programmer. I received my green card in Aug/10 through my employer on the EB2 level.
    I was working with the company that filed for my green card up until july/10 of this year, almost a month before receiving my green card. the company is basically a consulting firm, and I resigned from the consulting assignment I had .
    Anyway so a month later I get my green card and everything sounds fine. I started my own small consulting company. I contacted the same lawyer who was appointed by my previous employer to do my green card, and was chatting with him about my new consulting firm and other potentials. He surprised me by the saying the following :
    Since I haven't received any paystubs After getting my GC through my previous employer ( since my last paycheck was in mid july and the green I received was issued on 8/20/10, more then a month after that paystub) the lawyer recommended that I stay with the previous firm for at least three paystubs before the end of the year. ( keep in mind this lawyer is employed by my previous employer ). His logic was that in 5 years when I go for a citizenship exam, in the interview they will ask me for the last paystubs to make sure that I still stayed with the company that filed for my green card after receiving the green card.

Does that make sense? is that true?

Self employment and AC21 are possible. However documentation is complex to prove that you remained in the same/similar job.

As you moved before you got the GC, you should be fine as AC21 does NOT require any notification to USCIS.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
      Self employment and AC21 are possible. However documentation is complex to prove that you remained in the same/similar job.

As you moved before you got the GC, you should be fine as AC21 does NOT require any notification to USCIS.
      Hi, thanks for replying.
      What does AC21 mean?
      Are you saying that I shouldn't do whatever the company lawyer is asking me?
      What happens in the citizenship interview, ? does the INS need me to show paystubs after I got my green card from the same company who filed for my green card?

Comment

Seems like your knowledge of immigration processes are limited. I would ask that you research AC21 and do some reading about it. WHat your lawyer is asking to do is not needed but you need to understand that what you are doing should be same/similar to what the GC was filed for or you will have problems.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X