Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biological dad or stepfather's name on i-130 and related forms

hi guys

I am filling out the i-130 form and realized something. my dad passed away when i was little and my mom got married again. on my marriage certificate i put my step dads name but upon reading some more i dont know if i did the right thing here. Do i put my biological dads name on the forms? if so my marriage cert would show my step dads name, would this cause any issues?

or should i just put my step dad's name on all forms?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

The I-130 form does not request parent(s) names, so no issue there.

Otherwise, on the G-325A, for example, list whichever dad you recognize and whose surname you are using.

There is no "right way" or "wrong way" here.

--Ray B

Originally posted by itstaran View Post
    hi guys

I am filling out the i-130 form and realized something. my dad passed away when i was little and my mom got married again. on my marriage certificate i put my step dads name but upon reading some more i dont know if i did the right thing here. Do i put my biological dads name on the forms? if so my marriage cert would show my step dads name, would this cause any issues?

or should i just put my step dad's name on all forms?

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post

Otherwise, on the G-325A, for example, list whichever dad you recognize and whose surname you are using.

--Ray B
      Yea filling out the g325a. Well I recognize him as my father but he didn't adopt us. The last name is the same (they both had same last name so it can be either way) But my birth cert shows my biological dads name. Wouldn't this cause issues when I go for my interview and they realize the dad's name is different on the package I sent and my birth cert?

I am worried that when they are doing all the initial checks, if different names appear as my dad's name, it will hinder my application.

Comment

Stepfather is a recognized legal relationship. But your concern about the birth cert showing the natural father is valid. I've seen applicants go either way with this issue, but it would probably be better for you to report natural father on G-325A, then put "deceased' as current location.

--Ray B

Yea filling out the g325a. Well I recognize him as my father but he didn't adopt us. The last name is the same (they both had same last name so it can be either way) But my birth cert shows my biological dads name. Wouldn't this cause issues when I go for my interview and they realize the dad's name is different on the package I sent and my birth cert?

I am worried that when they are doing all the initial checks, if different names appear as my dad's name, it will hinder my application.

Comment

Stepfather is a recognized legal relationship. But your concern about the birth cert showing the natural father is valid. I've seen applicants go either way with this issue, but it would probably be better for you to report natural father on G-325A, then put "deceased' as current location.

--Ray B
          Thanks!

And in doing so, I should also get the marriage certificate amended since it's showing my step dad's name?
          I could also attach a sheet that can explain why the marriage certificate shows a different name than my birth cert and G325-A?

Comment

There is no reason to have your marriage record amended. You would be adding unnecessary complexity to this process.

Since stepfather was listed on the marriage cert, and to allay any possible confusion if questioned about two different reported fathers, get a simple affidavit notarized, in which you explain why you showed stepfather on marriage cert.

--Ray B

Thanks!

And in doing so, I should also get the marriage certificate amended since it's showing my step dad's name?
            I could also attach a sheet that can explain why the marriage certificate shows a different name than my birth cert and G325-A?

Comment

There is no reason to have your marriage record amended. You would be adding unnecessary complexity to this process.

Since stepfather was listed on the marriage cert, and to allay any possible confusion if questioned about two different reported fathers, get a simple affidavit notarized, in which you explain why you showed stepfather on marriage cert.

--Ray B
              The only reason I was thinking about amending the marriage cert was to avoid any confusion later on and if I get a RFE I can show the right marriage cert.

Comment

Your existing marriage certificate is the "right one."

A sworn statement explaining why you showed stepfather, rather than father, on that cert will suffice.

--Ray B

The only reason I was thinking about amending the marriage cert was to avoid any confusion later on and if I get a RFE I can show the right marriage cert.

Comment

Your existing marriage certificate is the "right one."

A sworn statement explaining why you showed stepfather, rather than father, on that cert will suffice.

--Ray B
                  Thank you.

Last (hopefully) question.

I know I sound very paranoid but it's just a weird situation, all the papers in Canada show my step dad as my dad (my dad passed away in India) and it's only my birth cert that shows his name so that's why I'm a bit more confused I suppose. Would this affect me in any way when I put my biological dad's name on the g325a?

I don't know the real purpose of putting dad's name on the g325a. If they use it to do back checks then the name they will see on my Canadian government records would be my step dad. But if they will only verify with my birth certificate then it will show my biological dad.

Not sure if I'm making sense :/

Comment

There are two main reasons for asking for so much data on the G-325A:

1. To build a data dossier of you for comparison against similar data provided by you in the future, to combat fraud or misrepresentation.
                    2. To provide initial data that might be drawn upon when you apply for immigration benefits for other family members in the fuure.

--Ray B

Thank you.

Last (hopefully) question.

I know I sound very paranoid but it's just a weird situation, all the papers in Canada show my step dad as my dad (my dad passed away in India) and it's only my birth cert that shows his name so that's why I'm a bit more confused I suppose. Would this affect me in any way when I put my biological dad's name on the g325a?

I don't know the real purpose of putting dad's name on the g325a. If they use it to do back checks then the name they will see on my Canadian government records would be my step dad. But if they will only verify with my birth certificate then it will show my biological dad.

Not sure if I'm making sense :/

Comment

There are two main reasons for asking for so much data on the G-325A:

1. To build a data dossier of you for comparison against similar data provided by you in the future, to combat fraud or misrepresentation.
                      2. To provide initial data that might be drawn upon when you apply for immigration benefits for other family members in the fuure.

--Ray B
                      Thank you Ray and you thank you for answering all my weird questions

Comment

--Ray B
                        The current I-130 asks for petitioners parents names. My step dad who I recognize as "dad" since I was 12

But my biological father on my birh certificate who I never met and don't know other than his last name is same as mine. Makes me wonder which father to write down?

I have a marrage certificate from Thailand and it doesn't ask for or have my parents names.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X