Australian on visitors visa,Wanting to marry American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian on visitors visa,Wanting to marry American

I am an australian on a temporary U.S visitors visa, i have been with my American boyfriend for just over 2 years.He spent 1 1/2 years in australia with me, now we want to get engaged and married but don't know the right, or fastest way to go about it .
    Any help or advise would be very appreciated.
    Last edited by Aussie; 09-29-2005, 05:35 PM.

Originally posted by Aussie
    I am an australian on a temporary U.S visitors visa, i have been with my American boyfriend for just over 2 years.He spent 1 1/2 years in australia with me, now we want to get engaged and married but don't know the right, or fastest way to go about it .
    Any help or advise would be very appreciated.
    Assuming you both wish to live in the US;
    there are several ways to go about it and the fastest is
    Direct consular filing. Both of you go to your place in Australia and get married. After the wedding your American husband will file an immigrant petition for you direct at the US consulate in australia. You may get your immigrant visa in 2-3 months in Australia and there
    is nothing more to do; this is the fastest.
    To know more, contact the embassy;

Another way is for you to get married here in US and not go back
    to australia. There are 2 problems with this method; the US immigration
    takes a dim view of people getting married on a visitor visa especially in your
    case, you could face problems since it could be deduced that you had preconceived intent to marry your boyfriend while visting since you have known him for so long. Secondly,you can start work in US fast by this method but processing of your actual immigrant visa in the US could take upto 1-3 yrs depending on where you live in US.

There are other ways like first getting engaged in australia and your
    husband applying for a K1 (fiancee) visa for you. You use the K1 come to US and get married in the US within 90 days and then your husband files for your
    immigrant visa in the US.

Or you get married in australia and your husband returns to US and files for you in US and you wait for your immigrant visa in australia.

Or there is an option of a K3 visa.

Read in detail;
    Last edited by taco; 09-29-2005, 08:26 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X