i-751 Question/Concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-751 Question/Concern

Hi Everyone! I'm new here and I have a specific question I was hoping to get help with. I've scoured the forums and so far haven't found someone in a similar situation - but my apologies if there has been something posted that I missed.

To give a little background first our (myself and my wife) story goes like this: I'm Canadian born and raised, she's american born and raised - we met in medical school in India. We got married, then she came to Canada to study for the USMLE with myself, then we moved in with her parents to continue studying, her home became our permanent residence (neither are employed - studying to become doctors still) at which point we applied for our conditional green card. I wrote Step 1 and then temporarily (approx 7 months) returned home to study for Step 2 and help my parents (winter) while she stayed at her home and studied. After that I went to West Virginia for 2 months to do a rotation at a hospital, then India for 1.5 months to finish some things up there, then visited her, then Cleveland for 1.5 months to do another medical rotation, then back to India for 1 month before returning home for good - or until June if I match in residency (at which point the both of us will finally move out on our own together).

My question is in regards to:
    22. Have you resided at any other address since your permanent resident? (If "Yes" attach a list of all addresses and dates.)

My permanent residence had not changed during the two years, it has been her parents home. For this question do I put the addresses I stayed at in Canada/West Virginia/Cleveland? Or since they were never permanent addresses since I've been a permanent resident do I not use them?

"Address changes" are a matter of perception. If you choose to report those temporary addresses, for work and training, as address changes, you may.

On the other hand, if you consider them simple temporary address of work expediency, you have a basis for not reporting them on the I-751 so long as you were continuing to receive mail at the parents' address.

--Ray B

Originally posted by texasmapleleaf View Post
    Hi Everyone! I'm new here and I have a specific question I was hoping to get help with. I've scoured the forums and so far haven't found someone in a similar situation - but my apologies if there has been something posted that I missed.

To give a little background first our (myself and my wife) story goes like this: I'm Canadian born and raised, she's american born and raised - we met in medical school in India. We got married, then she came to Canada to study for the USMLE with myself, then we moved in with her parents to continue studying, her home became our permanent residence (neither are employed - studying to become doctors still) at which point we applied for our conditional green card. I wrote Step 1 and then temporarily (approx 7 months) returned home to study for Step 2 and help my parents (winter) while she stayed at her home and studied. After that I went to West Virginia for 2 months to do a rotation at a hospital, then India for 1.5 months to finish some things up there, then visited her, then Cleveland for 1.5 months to do another medical rotation, then back to India for 1 month before returning home for good - or until June if I match in residency (at which point the both of us will finally move out on our own together).

My question is in regards to:
    22. Have you resided at any other address since your permanent resident? (If "Yes" attach a list of all addresses and dates.)

My permanent residence had not changed during the two years, it has been her parents home. For this question do I put the addresses I stayed at in Canada/West Virginia/Cleveland? Or since they were never permanent addresses since I've been a permanent resident do I not use them?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      "Address changes" are a matter of perception. If you choose to report those temporary addresses, for work and training, as address changes, you may.

On the other hand, if you consider them simple temporary address of work expediency, you have a basis for not reporting them on the I-751 so long as you were continuing to receive mail at the parents' address.

--Ray B
      Thank you so much for the prompt response.

Just to clarify - I did not expect to be home in Canada for as long as I was (took me MUCH longer than expected to write my second USMLE exam) so at no point did I think any of those addresses were anything but temporary. I initially checked "No" to the question as this addresses in the US has been my permanent address for 2 years; but what concerns me me is the exact vernacular used in the question "Have you resided in any other addresses..." which I technically have. I definately want to tell the truth but at the same time I do not want to complicate my case as I hadn't realized until now what kind of documents are required - and truthfully we have almost none.

Unfortunately since we both are students who have not been employed neither of us have joint tax returns, and since we have been living with her parents we dont' have a rental agreement or joint bills of any kind. We do have a joint chequing account (with money we received as gifts from the wedding). All we have are affidavits and the joint chequing account as proof (account has been open for 3 years) so I"m a little concerned about any further complications. We've been together for 8+ years and married for 3 but because we're students living with our parents there is little financial proof of our union so I didn't want the address question to complicate things further - but at the same time I want to answer all the questions honestly.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. I really didn't look into any of this until now, otherwise we would have made sure we had enough financial documentation - but now that I've looked into it I'm getting pretty stressed out.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X