Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm a widow and need to know if i'm elligible

Hello,

I'm a widow since a year to US citizen who passed after 4 years of marriage . i know that i can apply for a green card as widow by filling up form I-360

my question is , will they agree even if my wife didn't work and didn't pay taxes in the U.S ? she was living with me abroad

i tried before to go with her to make immigrant request and they told us not possible because she didn't work in the U.S before

please advise

Thanks

watzmann

Yes, you can self-petition as a widower, using form I-360.

I think you received bad advice or misinterpreted what you might have been told about not being able to be petitioned since your wife hadn't worked in the U.S. That is simply not true, She could have petitioned you and could have been the primary sponsor even without prior employment. But a qualified joint sponsor would have been needed to complete the visa application process,

--Ray B

Originally posted by watzmann View Post
    Hello,

I'm a widow since a year to US citizen who passed after 4 years of marriage . i know that i can apply for a green card as widow by filling up form I-360

my question is , will they agree even if my wife didn't work and didn't pay taxes in the U.S ? she was living with me abroad

i tried before to go with her to make immigrant request and they told us not possible because she didn't work in the U.S before

please advise

Thanks

watzmann

Comment

Great

But what about now , do i still need a "qualified joint sponsor " or without it i can proceed as a widow?

Thanks

Comment

As a widow(er) self-petitioner, you don't need a sponsor.

--Ray B

Great

But what about now , do i still need a "qualified joint sponsor " or without it i can proceed as a widow?

Thanks

Comment

Could you please tell me how i can start the process ?

i cannot find the form I 136 in the immigrant visa

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          As a widow(er) self-petitioner, you don't need a sponsor.

--Ray B

Comment

It's form I-360 (not I-136). Filing fee is $405. Go to: http://www.uscis.gov/i-360

--Ray B

Could you please tell me how i can start the process ?

i cannot find the form I 136 in the immigrant visa

Comment

i went through the link you give me and i found also something weird , please correct me if i'm wrong .

i should fill up the file and send it to an address in the U.S and not the U.S embassy in my country

here is the link of addresses , http://www.uscis.gov/i-360-addresses

is it correct that i should not contact the embassy in my country with the Form I360

an important note here , i have a valid U.S visa for 5 years , will that affect anything ?

Comment

The filing location instructions are as follows:

"...If you live outside the U.S and are self-petitioning, you may file Form I-360 at the USCIS office or U.S. Embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over the area where you live. The Form I-485 cannot be filed concurrently with the Form I-360 if you live outside the U.S...."

i went through the link you give me and i found also something weird , please correct me if i'm wrong .

i should fill up the file and send it to an address in the U.S and not the U.S embassy in my country

here is the link of addresses , http://www.uscis.gov/i-360-addresses

is it correct that i should not contact the embassy in my country with the Form I360

an important note here , i have a valid U.S visa for 5 years , will that affect anything ?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
                  The filing location instructions are as follows:

"...If you live outside the U.S and are self-petitioning, you may file Form I-360 at the USCIS office or U.S. Embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over the area where you live. The Form I-485 cannot be filed concurrently with the Form I-360 if you live outside the U.S...."
                  i'm trying to find in the Local embassy website any method to file the Form I 360 but i cannot find . i sent to the embassy an e-mail and hope they will answer me soon.

now i found an intersting info in the local embassy website saying "If you are a resident of Egypt, since August 16, 2011 the Immigration office at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo stopped receiving Form I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative. Form I-130 should be submitted from the U.S.A. "

so i think they will do the same with the Form I 360 , i mean they will ask me to file it in USA , so please tell me can i send it by mail or i should go by myself ?

Thanks

Watzmann

Comment

Dears,

Please advise , can i apply Form I-360 even if i'm not in USA now ?

if yes , how i can pay the money

Thanks

watzmann

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X