Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage certificate for parents who married under age

Hi,
    I am a US citizen. I am planning to file family base green card ( I-130) for my parents who live in India. My parents doesn't have marriage certificate. Parent got married in 1969 and they were couple of month short on age limit (age 21 & 18) required at marriage. They were under age at the time of marriage. I am not sure that marriage can be register now due the age at the time of marriage as per my knowledge but I might be wrong. What alternate document can be used in absence of marriage certificate? Does any one gone though such situation and suggestion?

Thanks

Make the effort to obtain a formal marriage certificate from the Registrar of Marriages

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      Make the effort to obtain a formal marriage certificate from the Registrar of Marriages
      Thanks for suggestion but I doubt that the registrar can register my parents marriage as they were few months short on legal age of marriage.

Comment

Don't be silly, this is the Hindu Marriage Act 1956 you're talking about

The marriage would have been voidable if the female spouse was under age 15 when the marriage occurred, and only if the female spouse requested judicial annulment prior to turning age 18

Otherwise, the marriage is totally legit

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X