Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration for parents -- Some questions

Hi all,

I and my wife shall receive citizenship within next couple of months. We need to apply for immigration of my in-laws. they are in India and there is nobody to look after them. They already have 10 years visitor's visa and they had been to US twice and went back. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the timeframe for processing thier immigration? I heard that we
    can get it done within a year.

2. When we apply for their immigration, is it necessary that they must be in
    US or we can apply even if they are in India?

3. If we apply while they are in US, can they go back and forth to India while
    the application is in process?

4. If we apply while they are in India, can they visit US while the application
    is in process?

5. How many days of stay in US is necessary for them to retain their
    immigration? I heard that it is 6 month in a year. Some people say it is 1
    month in a year.

Anybody having experience, please advise.

Thank you in advance.

New Diamond

1. That's right.
    2. Either place.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.
    5. https://www.immihelp.com/retain-greencard-useful-tips/
    If they are really not planning to stay in US permanently, don't do their immigration. They are better off with the visitors visa.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

hello immihelp, I had an additional question to the same situation as newdiamond. I wanted to know if my parents have visitor visas already, and I apply for I-130 and Adjustment of status I-485 route concurrently instead of Consular processing, can they still travel out of US with their B2 visas, and will it effect their application. And is Adjustment of status faster than Consular processing ? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by machismo
        hello immihelp, I had an additional question to the same situation as newdiamond. I wanted to know if my parents have visitor visas already, and I apply for I-130 and Adjustment of status I-485 route concurrently instead of Consular processing, can they still travel out of US with their B2 visas, and will it effect their application. And is Adjustment of status faster than Consular processing ? Thanks.

If they're in the US and you file I-130 and I-485 concurrently, they will have to obtain Advance Parole (I-131) to be able to travel in and out of the US while the I-485 is pending. I think Consular processing is a faster but not by much.

Comment

Immigration for mother

My mother will be here on the Tourist Visa next month. Her 10 yr visa is expiring in a yr, and I want to apply for her GC. Can someone give me the following info please. I am confused, as I talked to a lawyer and he seems to be charging over $2000. Does it even make sense to hire one or can I do it myself?

1) What forms are needed I 130, I 485? Oh I will be applying once she is here.
          2) She doesNOT have a Birth cert. What are the alternatives?
          3) Is there a ck list of all the documents somewhere? The lawyers want to charge me $1000 bucks just to provide the ck list.
          3) Once she is here, do I apply immediately, or wait some days?
          4) how long does it take to get a GC?

I am a US cit. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Sapna

Comment

Originally posted by curiousone
            If they're in the US and you file I-130 and I-485 concurrently, they will have to obtain Advance Parole (I-131) to be able to travel in and out of the US while the I-485 is pending. I think Consular processing is a faster but not by much.
            thanks for your reply.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X