X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with I-864 and I-864 A for IR5

Dear Immihelp,

Excellent, excellent website!

I am a USC petitioner for parents (IR5).
    I'm presently preparing my Affidavit of Support I-864 & I-864-A forms

I have 1 question. I could not find the answer from the Federal/state websites.
    Please read my brief situation:

I am the petitioner, but is presently UNEMPLOYED (to concentrate on a master's program with daily clinical rotations and weekly exams).

I have not been working (unemployed by choice) since January 2006. (ie. I have ZERO individual income since January 2006)

For Part 6 of the I-864 form, I won't be able to place any employer/current individual income.

I am aware that I, as a petitioner is still required to submit an I-864 for the beneficiary. I will submit this for sure.
    For my parents' case, I would be using ONLY my spouse's income to qualify for sponsorship. We will fill up the I-864 A (Contract between Household member and sponsor). My spouse is also a US citizen.

I am unemployed presently but my spouse is making 180% of the 2006 poverty line for our household size (ALL future visa beneficiaries already included in the counting).

My spouse and I have filed (IRS) jointly from 2003 to 2005 (I was employed during those years). Even if the 2003 and 2004 ITR transcripts are not required anymore, I will still send them all to support our case.

Major question: For all the situation above, do I need to find a joint sponsor (because I am unemployed)?
    Again, my main points/situation are:
    1. (petitioner [me] is currently unemployed or with ZERO income (since Jan. 2006)
    2) Spouse's income is 180% above the 2006 poverty line for NJ, USA .
    3) Petitioner (me, the unemployed sponsor) will fill up both I-864 and I-864-A (using spouse's income)

Thank you so much for the advice and assistance.
    Happy Holidays to you all!

maryrose
    Last edited by maryrose; 12-25-2006, 06:46 AM.

I got the same RFE letter. USCIS does a real poor job explaining what is missing or wrong, in fact, they don't tell you anything! In my case, I had submitted the I-864W but there was something they didn't like. It took me a long time to finally find official information on the web that indicated they probably didn't like the Social Security annual earnings statement I sent and that they wanted a certified copy of my earnings from Social Security instead. The SSA takes 6 weeks to send that information, fortunately USCIS gave me 87 days to provide the info.

Comment

Originally posted by maryrose
      Dear Immihelp,

Excellent, excellent website!

I am a USC petitioner for parents (IR5).
      I'm presently preparing my Affidavit of Support I-864 & I-864-A forms

I have 1 question. I could not find the answer from the Federal/state websites.
      Please read my brief situation:

I am the petitioner, but is presently UNEMPLOYED (to concentrate on a master's program with daily clinical rotations and weekly exams).

I have not been working (unemployed by choice) since January 2006. (ie. I have ZERO individual income since January 2006)

For Part 6 of the I-864 form, I won't be able to place any employer/current individual income.

I am aware that I, as a petitioner is still required to submit an I-864 for the beneficiary. I will submit this for sure.
      For my parents' case, I would be using ONLY my spouse's income to qualify for sponsorship. We will fill up the I-864 A (Contract between Household member and sponsor). My spouse is also a US citizen.

I am unemployed presently but my spouse is making 180% of the 2006 poverty line for our household size (ALL future visa beneficiaries already included in the counting).

My spouse and I have filed (IRS) jointly from 2003 to 2005 (I was employed during those years). Even if the 2003 and 2004 ITR transcripts are not required anymore, I will still send them all to support our case.

Major question: For all the situation above, do I need to find a joint sponsor (because I am unemployed)?
      Again, my main points/situation are:
      1. (petitioner [me] is currently unemployed or with ZERO income (since Jan. 2006)
      2) Spouse's income is 180% above the 2006 poverty line for NJ, USA .
      3) Petitioner will fill up both I-864 and I-864-A (using spouse's income)

Thank you so much for the advice and assistance.
      Happy Holidays to you all!

maryrose

The petitioner MUST do an I-864 always

Comment

Joint sponsor

Hi Curiousone,

As I've said, I definitely will do my I-864 and I--864 A (with spouse). In my case, (above) because I have no earnings presently, do you think I should find a joint sponsor (EXTRA).-----this was my question.
        My husband's salary is at 180% above the proverty line (for total household number, including beneficiaries).

I was worried about my unemployment status. I'm sponsoring my mom and dad.

Thanks a lot.

Others, please help.

maryrose
        Last edited by maryrose; 12-25-2006, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Rene

I agree with you Rene.

They really intend to make the process confusing.

This would filter at least the millions of applicants. ....or cause significant delay

Wow......the SSA long wait can be maddening....
          I would be upset.
          But I believe you'll get to the finish line soon.

Anyway, I wish you luck, Rene.
          God bless.

maryrose

Comment

Originally posted by maryrose
            Hi Curiousone,

As I've said, I definitely will do my I-864 and I--864 A (with spouse). In my case, (above) because I have no earnings presently, do you think I should find a joint sponsor (EXTRA).-----this was my question.
            My husband's salary is at 180% above the proverty line (for total household number, including beneficiaries).

I was worried about my unemployment status. I'm sponsoring my mom and dad.

Thanks a lot.

Others, please help.

maryrose

Actually your original question was whether you were required to do a I-864 or your husband should do it since youre unemployed. Its pretty straighforward, I think. If the principal petitioner doesnt meet the income guidelines then a joint sponsor has to be used. Joint means, to me, in addition to...........

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X