Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian engaged to American...help!

Hi there,

I am a Canadian Citizen (living in Canada) I just got engaged a few weeks ago to my boyfriend who is an American Citizen (living in the USA). We met through our church and have been dating for almost 3 years. He has a family business so I will be moving permanently to the USA once we are married. We are aiming to have our wedding September 2007. The ceremony will be in Canada and I have no need to live in the USA till we get married (therefore I "think" the fiance visa has no relevance to our situation).

I'm trying to figure out what is the best route for us to go... should I get legally married on paper in the USA and apply for a K-3 Spousal Visa or get legally married on paper and apply for a green card through marriage? We would like to honeymoon outside the USA, do either of these options pose problems for this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much!

Case Info:
    I-485-Family-Based (Marriage to USC)
    Country of Citizenship: South Africa: Tampa, FL
    10/30/2006- I-130, I-485, I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
    11/06/2006-ND from USCIS for I-485, I765
    11/20/2006-FP Notice received from USCIS
    12/12/2006-Biometrics taken at local USCIS
    01/20/2007-EAD Card Received
    02/14/2007-Interview Letter Received
    03/5/2007-Interview at Tampa DO (Approved)
    03/10/2007-Email saying Notice Mailed Welcoming New Permanent Resident
    03/10/2007-Green Card Production Ordered Email Received
    03/12/2007-Welcome Notice Received in the Mail.
    03/17/2007-Approval Notice/Green Card Sent Email Received

Hi there. My wife is an American Citizen and I am from South Africa, we did get married in South Africa and then my wife applied for me for a green card. For us it was the best and easiest way to go. You can go on your honeymoon just where you want it will not affect you in any way.

I hope this help.

Comment

abigailD

You can only be eligible for a K3 after your husband files a gc petition for you in US. Try to understand it this way;
      You get married in canada. He goes back to US and files an I-130 (gc petition ) for you in the US . From then on you have two options;

1. Wait for your immigrant visa in canada which will take a long time , almost a year as all petitions are processed by the slow moving vermont service center .
      2. Apply for a K3 which will take you to US where you can work and TRAVEL ABROAD while waiting for your gc.

Originally posted by abigailD
      Hi there,

I am a Canadian Citizen (living in Canada) I just got engaged a few weeks ago to my boyfriend who is an American Citizen (living in the USA). We met through our church and have been dating for almost 3 years. He has a family business so I will be moving permanently to the USA once we are married. We are aiming to have our wedding September 2007. The ceremony will be in Canada and I have no need to live in the USA till we get married (therefore I "think" the fiance visa has no relevance to our situation).

I'm trying to figure out what is the best route for us to go... should I get legally married on paper in the USA and apply for a K-3 Spousal Visa or get legally married on paper and apply for a green card through marriage? We would like to honeymoon outside the USA, do either of these options pose problems for this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much!
      Last edited by peace; 04-23-2007, 03:28 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X