Multiple petitions for parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple petitions for parents?

Hi all! I am a US citizen looking to sponsor my parents' green cards. I am trying to get the timing right (e.g. their retirement etc). Does anyone know if I can send multiple petitions under the following scenarios:

1) They receive the immigrant visa, but aren't ready to move within 6 months. If they forfeit the visa, can I send another petition? (I-130, etc)
    2) They receive the immigrant visa, make the move (and receive their green cards) but end up moving back (without satisfying the 6 months/yea rule) and losing their green cards. Can I subsequently start another petition for them and get them a new set of green cards?

1. Yes, but maybe the better option is they don't apply for the immigrant visa until they are ready. I believe you can keep an approved I-130 petition alive by calling NVC at least once a year (otherwise they revoke petitions with 1 year of inactivity).
    2. There is no 6 months/year rule. A green card can be used for re-entry after an absence of up to 1 year. They can get a Re-entry Permit which allows them to re-enter during the validity of the permit (which is 2 years). In all cases, they need to maintain residence in the US. If they abandon residence, you can petition them again.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much for your response. This is great info! I read up on this a bit.
      So in theory, you could actually maintain a green card by just coming back to US every six months (to avoid a Court hearing or having to get a re-entry permit). Is it realistic to be able to get a citizenship 5 years later if you spent only a few days in US over the course. What is the realistic minimum period you'd need to spend in US (if such exists at all) during your green card years to have no issues at naturalization stage.

Comment

In general: be a GC holder for at least 5 years, no trips for more than 6 months, 30 months living in the USA from the last 5 years and at least 3 months in the same place before filing N-400.
        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X