Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on How to Move Fiance to the US

Hi guys,

I didn't know if this was the right topic for this question, so if it is please go ahead and delete.

Anyway, my Canadian fiance and I will be getting married in Canada on October 17, 2020. Many of my friends have told us that we should get married on paper at least, start the paperwork, then have the wedding to bypass the wedding. She unfortunately only wants the traditional wedding.

What type of visa should we look into for her? When should we start the process? Is it possible for my fiance to visit my for 6 months while her paperwork gets processed?
    Last edited by lsalazar1; 01-17-2020, 11:03 PM. Reason: marriage

If you marry in Canada, then after your wedding you start the I-130 petition in the USA for consular processing and she needs to stay in Canada.
    After several months the I-130 gets approved and information is sent to a Canada consulate. They will contact you and her to send documents to review the case. After some months they will schedule a consular interview and if they approve her she then will be able to travel to the USA.

Traveling to the USA with the intention to get the residency (under a visa waiver or visitor visa) is something that will cause problems and even denials.

What couples usually do is convince the fiance to marry in the USA when they are visiting.

I hope someone else can give you better information, my information here is only by reading and not experience-based. Good luck.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X