Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for a green card but moving in 1.5 months - do we wait until after move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a green card but moving in 1.5 months - do we wait until after move?

I'm in the process of applying for a green card with my US citizen spouse being the petitioner. We're going to be moving to a different state 1.5 months from now - at this time, we don't know where we are going to be moving to since it will depend on where she gets a job. At this point, do I hold off on applying until after we move or should I proceed anyway? I anticipate it will take me at least another 2 weeks or so to complete the forms so there's going to be about another month after that until I have to move.

If she has no job, then she has no current income for her I-864. Wouldn't you have to wait until she has enough income again for the I-864 to file anyway?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

You are expected to file a change of address form (AR11) within 10 days of moving. I dont see a reason to wait to file the application, as long as everything else is in order and you are ready to file.

See this link for the form: https://www.uscis.gov/ar-11
      USC filed AOS for parents on B2. I am not a lawyer.
      Timeline
      7/21 <— 2 sets of I-130/485/944/864/131/765/693 reached Chicago Lockbox
      8/4 <— Checks cashed
      8/5 <— I-797 SMS
      8/24 <— Biometrics completed
      10/19 <— I-485 ("New Card Is Being Produced")
      10/20 <— I-130 and I-485 ("Case Was Approved")
      10/22 <— I-130 and I-485 Approval notices received
      10/28 <— Green card#1 received
      11/07 <— Green card#2 received

Comment

I would recommend you wait since it is just 1.5 months.
        Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          If she has no job, then she has no current income for her I-864. Wouldn't you have to wait until she has enough income again for the I-864 to file anyway?
          She does have a job at the moment but it is a "temporary" job until the end of September for now. She will have made more than enough income for the I-864

Comment

Given uncertainties about USCIS fee increases, furloughs after Aug 30, merit-based immigration changes and whatnot, if I were you, I’d get the application in and update the address later; not a big deal.

If you’re in the camp that doesn’t have a hope of approval due to the public charge rule and are hoping that post November things will improve, you are better off waiting.
            Timeline
            8/4 <— Checks cashed
            8/5 <— I-797 SMS

Comment

If you feel uncomfortable about changing address or it is somehow difficult for you, another option for you can be to use a P O Box address as your mailing address on the forms while listing Physical Address separately. You can then set forwarding for your mail from the P O Box to your new address when you move. Read this link:
              https://faq.usps.com/s/article/PO-Bo...ics#guidelines
              Timeline
              8/4 <— Checks cashed
              8/5 <— I-797 SMS

Comment

Originally posted by verbose View Post
                Given uncertainties about USCIS fee increases, furloughs after Aug 30, merit-based immigration changes and whatnot, if I were you, I’d get the application in and update the address later; not a big deal.

If you’re in the camp that doesn’t have a hope of approval due to the public charge rule and are hoping that post November things will improve, you are better off waiting.
                Good point - Yeah, I think I'll go ahead with the application then. No concern with the public charge rule.

Comment

I still recommend that you wait since its a brief period. Saves you the hassle. Fyi.... USCIS letters cannot be forwarded from one mailbox to another or a new address.
                  If you decide to still apply, then you will need to notify the USCIS of the change (for each application in addition to filing AR11)
                  Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X