Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-751 N-400 Combo - Issues on timing

Hi there -

I submitted my I-751, which is the petition to remove conditions, in August 2019. They gave me a letter saying my GC was extended for 18 months post expiration date (October). Last year (August 2020), since I was still waiting for them to process my I-751, I submitted N-400. I read forums that said while waiting for I-751, might as well apply for citizenship as 3 years had passed since originally receiving my family based green card. Now I think I made a mistake. Considering USCIS processes both the N-400 and I-751 together, did I just lose my place in line for the I-751? It has already been 17 months since submitting I-751 and maybe in a few months I would have received it. Instead, because I submitted N-400 last August, now I am in the N-400 timeline of more than a year? I dont know why I believed forums that said with N-400 I-751 combo, they would accelerate the N-400 interview because I have already waited so long for I-751. Any others who did the combo and can advise me on timing? I am very upset as I really needed that final green card so in case of emergencies I can go back to my home country of India. Now I need to beg USCIS to let me get an INFOPASS appointment - which is VERY hard to get in LA. Tell me friends - did I make a mistake in applying for N-400 before my I-751 was processed?

In what I have found with my personal research and the forums, I don’t think you made a mistake. Most people on your position have done the same thing. Isn’t it better to be waiting for Citizenship interview rather than I-751 Removal of Conditions interview?

As for traveling back to your home country, you are still legally a GC holder, which means you can travel in and out of the country (as long as you have already done biometrics for your I-751 or N-400). As far as I have come by on information on this matter, (either on USCIS website or lawyer videos on youtube), they all say you are able to travel while waiting for your citizenship interview notice.

I have also been keeping track of the timeline for N-400 (and I-751) in California (San Jose for me), both timelines on the USCIS website show that it takes more than 1 yr to almost 2 yrs. And with Covid delaying everything, that may have added more months to that generic timeline. LA as well could indeed exceed these timelines, due to higher numbers of immigrants.

You can’t really do anything about it now (other than to withdraw your N-400 application, which I don’t think anyone would want to do), so the only thing we can do is sit tight and wait it out.
    Last edited by sapphire89; 01-20-2021, 04:34 AM.

Comment

No, usually N-400 is faster so filing the N-400 can actually speed up the process. It doesn't always - USCIS is slow slow slow. But it doesn't hurt / kick you back. As sapphire said, it's a common route. Hope you get it soon.
      2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
      4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
      4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
      4/19: Request to expedite EAD
      5/11: Received EAD
      6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
      8/09: Advance Parole approved
      8/29: Scheduled for Interview
      10/11: Interview
      10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
      10/16: Sent new G28
      10/19: Approved!

Comment

Thank you both.

Comment