Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I-693 be sent after I-485?

Hello,
    I filed for Adjustment of status for my mom. Filed I-130 online and sent I-485, I-864, I-763, I-131 by mail. Received the medical exam result in a week. Can I send I-693 separately? Do I need to write a cover letter with the receipt numbers of all the forms and the reason for sending 693 separately? How to do this in a proper way?
    Please advise.
    Thank you!

Hi,
    I dont think so, you can send I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record separately. You can either file at the time of Adjustment of status petition filing or at the time of RFE stage.
    Thanks

Comment

Can i send I-693 separately after a week of sending 485? Do i need cover letter with receipt numbers so they know the details?
      Thank you!

Comment

From https://www.uscis.gov/i-693

Where to File

After completing your the medical examination, the civil surgeon must give you, the applicant, the completed Form I-693 in a sealed envelope. Do not accept it if it is not in a sealed envelope. We will return the form to you if it is not in a sealed envelope, or if the envelope has been opened or altered.

You (not the civil surgeon) must submit your Form I-693 to USCIS. If you are applying for adjustment of status, you may submit Form I-693:
        • By mail with your Form I-485, Application to Register for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to the location specified for your Form I-485 (see Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485).
        • By mail after filing your Form I-485 to the location specified in your most recent communication with USCIS (for example, a Request for Evidence letter from USCIS).
        • In person at an interview in a USCIS field office (if an interview is required).

Other applicants: Follow the instructions on or included with the application or the instructions given to you by the office requesting the medical examination.

Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject any unsigned form.
        They only give 3 options: 1) with your I-485, 2) if you receive an RFE and 3) in person at your interview.

If you send documents to USCIS that are not a response to an RFE, they can destroy the documents or find your file and add it to it, but you will not know which. Good luck.

Edit: maybe you can do #2 by attaching a copy of your I-485 receipt and sending it to the address on that receipt. Please talk with your civil surgeon and ask if they can provide a duplicate sealed envelope at a later time for free or at a discount.
        Last edited by Enub4; 08-19-2021, 10:55 AM.
        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Thank you! Will wait for RFE then. How long is the I-693 civil surgeon's valid for after the tests are done? I see this on uscis website. Not sure how to interpret it. Is it four years now after the signature date?

When to File

Save time by filing Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. USCIS generally considers a completed Form I-693 to retain its evidentiary value for two years after the date the civil surgeon signed Form I-693, as long as the date of the civil surgeon’s signature is no more than 60 days before the applicant filed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

However, effective Aug. 12, 2021, USCIS is temporarily extending the validity period for Form I-693 from two years to now four years. For decisions on Form I-485 issued on or before Sept. 30, 2021, USCIS may accept an otherwise valid Form I-693 if:
          • The civil surgeon’s signature is dated no more than 60 days before the applicant filed Form I-485;
          • No more than four years have passed since the date of the civil surgeon’s signature; and
          • A decision on Form I-485 is issued on or before Sept. 30, 2021.

You are not required to file the Form I-693 at the same time you file Form I-485, and many applicants bring their completed Form I-693 to their interview. However, some applications may not require an interview. USCIS makes decisions to waive interviews on a case-by-case basis.

Filing Form I-485 and Form I-693 at the same time may eliminate the need for us to issue an RFE to obtain your Form I-693. This may also help avoid adjudication delays if we decide that you do not need to be interviewed.

Comment

Originally posted by geetha5 View Post
            Thank you! Will wait for RFE then. How long is the I-693 civil surgeon's valid for after the tests are done? I see this on uscis website. Not sure how to interpret it. Is it four years now after the signature date?
            If the signature is less than 60 days before your I-485 was received by USCIS then is valid for 2 years. If they approve your case on or before September 30, 2021, then it is valid for 4 years.

Note: there are few officers that insist that the signature date must be less than 60 days from the date they receive the sealed envelope.

Note2: the officer can request a new I-693 even if the I-693 is still under 2 years.
            Last edited by Enub4; 08-19-2021, 03:57 PM.
            ---
            All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

In my case, I-485 was sent on 08/13, receipt generated on 08/16, medical test was done on 08/11 and civil surgeon signed and dated on 08/17. This is not prior to 485 right? How does the 60 days timeframe apply to my case is my confusion?
              Please help clarify.

Comment

In your case, the civil surgeon signed after the underlying form was filed (I-485).
                Your sealed envelope is valid until 08/16/2023.
                ---

Comment

Great! Thanks so much! I'm relieved. Appreciate your prompt responses, Enub4.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X