Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green card for parents.. Can DNA test be used as evidence of relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card for parents.. Can DNA test be used as evidence of relationship?

I am a US citizen and would like to sponsor green card for my parents. My situation is as follows:

- My parents are currently visiting me (in the US) on a visitor's visa.
    - My birth certificate clearly lists their names as my parents. But USCIS instructions say that to prove "father relationship", I need to also submit their marriage certificate.
    - But my parent's marriage was never registered and they don't have a marriage certificate. It is also difficult to get official documentation saying that such a certificate doesn't exist.
    - Under the circumstances, can I use a DNA test to prove paternity? Would it be accepted by USCIS as sufficient evidence?

Thanks you very much.

Originally posted by usam2 View Post
    I am a US citizen and would like to sponsor green card for my parents. My situation is as follows:

- My birth certificate clearly lists their names as my parents. But USCIS instructions say that to prove "father relationship", I need to also submit their marriage certificate.
    - But my parent's marriage was never registered and they don't have a marriage certificate. It is also difficult to get official documentation saying that such a certificate doesn't exist.
    - Under the circumstances, can I use a DNA test to prove paternity? Would it be accepted by USCIS as sufficient evidence?

Thanks you very much.
    In cases like yours, petitioners have submitted affidavits ( 2 or 3 of them ) testifying that they are/were aware of the marriage. Last resort should be DNA test.
    Good Luck!

Comment

Why paternity test for sponsoring mother?

Originally posted by daru786 View Post
      In cases like yours, petitioners have submitted affidavits ( 2 or 3 of them ) testifying that they are/were aware of the marriage. Last resort should be DNA test.
      Good Luck!
      In my case I am only petitioning my mother (may father died 11 years ago) but the USCIS office is still going into paternity and marriage certification issues. Is that just a mistake? What should I do?

Comment

iF YOU ARE NOT PETITIONING YOUR FATHER, THERE IS NO PATERNITY PROOF ISSUE, SINCE DNA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOUR FATHER.

IF PROOF OF YOUR MOTHER'S RELATIONSHIP HAS BEEN ASKED, ONLY OBTAIN DNA TESTING IF OTHER EVIDENCE IS NOT AVAILABLE AND IF USCIS SPECIFICALLY REQUESTS DNA TESTING IN LIEU OF OTHER DOCUMENTED PROOF OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH MOM.

--Ray B

Originally posted by spujare View Post
        In my case I am only petitioning my mother (may father died 11 years ago) but the USCIS office is still going into paternity and marriage certification issues. Is that just a mistake? What should I do?

Comment

Paternity proof issue

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          iF YOU ARE NOT PETITIONING YOUR FATHER, THERE IS NO PATERNITY PROOF ISSUE, SINCE DNA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR YOUR FATHER.

IF PROOF OF YOUR MOTHER'S RELATIONSHIP HAS BEEN ASKED, ONLY OBTAIN DNA TESTING IF OTHER EVIDENCE IS NOT AVAILABLE AND IF USCIS SPECIFICALLY REQUESTS DNA TESTING IN LIEU OF OTHER DOCUMENTED PROOF OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH MOM.

--Ray B
          Hi Ray B,

Thanks for your response. That is quite helpful.
          The DNA testing issue was raised by the original poster of this thread (and not me): i just raised a related question about my case where I have only petitioned my mother but somehow USCIS is bringing in paternity issue regarding my father. I think it is a mistake on their part but I just wanted to get some help/clarification from others. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by usam2 View Post

Thanks you very much.
            According to me, you can show your Paternity DNA Test for the proof of "Father Relationship". But, you can ask as well if you can submit this DNA test as proof or not.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X