Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Green Card/job offer in another state

Hello All,
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer and give advice on this, I truly appreciate it!
    I have been married to my wife for a year now and we have been living together for 2 years. I have a conditional permanent resident card that is just about a year old. We both live and work in Minnesota. I just got an offer from our office in Louisiana (it’s a good offer and I took it). My wife has family here and she has a job she likes here. So here is my question: Will moving to Louisiana affect my Temporary Green Card at all? Also, which address should I put as my permanent address? (The same address we have now? Or my address in Louisiana?... we currently rent a Condo.) And lastly, should I change my address with the USCIS at all? Since my home state will still be Minnesota? We are planning on seeing each other every other week or every 2 weeks or so. We are genuinely married, all of our finances (cars, car insurance, health insurance life insurance, taxes…everything is in both names).
    Please let me know what you think and again, your help is greatly appreciated!

Personally me, I don't buy your story and don't think the IO will buy it too. How can someone leave their spouse just because they get a good job offer, leave their spouse and off you go with a promise to see him/her every couple of weeks.
    Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you daru786... but I checked with a lawyer and I should be ok. But thank you for your "kind words". I am not leaving my wife, and we are both okay with this, I was only requesting immigration advise. In this market, we are both lucky to have jobs, we will try to get her a job here, but in the mean time, you have to worj with what you have. I hope your understand that and I am sure that any reasonable will understand that. But again, Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by PERO101 View Post
        Hello All,
        First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer and give advice on this, I truly appreciate it!
        I have been married to my wife for a year now and we have been living together for 2 years. I have a conditional permanent resident card that is just about a year old. We both live and work in Minnesota. I just got an offer from our office in Louisiana (it’s a good offer and I took it). My wife has family here and she has a job she likes here. So here is my question: Will moving to Louisiana affect my Temporary Green Card at all? Also, which address should I put as my permanent address? (The same address we have now? Or my address in Louisiana?... we currently rent a Condo.) And lastly, should I change my address with the USCIS at all? Since my home state will still be Minnesota? We are planning on seeing each other every other week or every 2 weeks or so. We are genuinely married, all of our finances (cars, car insurance, health insurance life insurance, taxes…everything is in both names).
        Please let me know what you think and again, your help is greatly appreciated!
        The only way moving to different state will affect the temp-GC is when it comes to Removal Of Conditions (I-751) as you need to reside in the new state for 90 days before you can file it (edit; based on your post, you have 1 year remaining--so working backwards, you will have resided 200+ days in Louisiana if you decide to file I-751 from there). You will need to file an AR-11 documenting the move.

Comment

Originally posted by daru786 View Post
          Personally me, I don't buy your story and don't think the IO will buy it too. How can someone leave their spouse just because they get a good job offer, leave their spouse and off you go with a promise to see him/her every couple of weeks.
          Good Luck!
          How about you look at the plight of many GC-holders who are petitioning non-USC spouses ("V" visa notwithstanding) before spouting off such an unsympathetic/unempathetic answer?

(editted--correction of quote)
          Last edited by svaradara; 05-18-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Job in another state during conditional green card

08-13-2019, 01:45 PM
            Hello, me and my husband were married almost 2 years when I received the green card, however since it was 2 months still shy of 2 years i received a conditional green card this January 19. That being said, I received a job proposal that would require me to move out of state, from Indiana to California. My husband cannot come with me now because his father has dementia and he takes care of him, and he's also disabled and doesn't want to make the move. But the job is too good for me and for my career - it would be financially a big jump in our lives. My question is: my lawyer told me that moving to another state for a job without my husband, even though we will not separate or divorce (we will still see each other at least once a month), will be a big red flag coming the time to remove conditions of my green card. She said there will be another interview - I thought we just needed to send documents to prove our bona fides again, not be interviewed again, but she said interviews are required the second time now and the IO can deny my removal of conditions and cancel my GC if we live separately. Please, let me know if this really is an impediment, if I have to decline this job offer . I'm already 46 years old and this opportunity will not come back again. Please tell me the IOs cannot be that strict? Thanks so much

Comment

File for divorce and then file for removal of condition by yourself. At least, you both got into marriage with good faith. It's a little weird if neither one of a married people couple is willing to sacrifice.
              AOS C9, Houston TX

PD: 08/01
              Fingerprinted: 08/17
              RFIE sent: 11/07
              Responsed to RFIE received: 12/04
              Request for expedition on I765: 12/07
              Evidence faxed: 12/10

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}