No announcement yet.

I-140 when outside the U.S.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I-140 when outside the U.S.

    What is the procedure for I-140 and other steps in employment-based green card when the beneficiary is outside the U.S.?

  • #2
    No difference for the I-140, except an indication to go for CP.
    An I-485 can obviously only be filed when in the US. Adjustment of status is by definition only possible if a person has a status in the US, which somebody abroad does not.
    Instead of the I-485, the CP route is used. With CP, the applicant's complete file is transferred to a US consulate, and the applicant gets interviewed there, and gets an immigrant visa. The applicant then enters with the immigrant visa and becomes a PR at the point of entry.