Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor & 140 approved; H-1B extension / changing employer

Hi,

First of all my sincere thanks to all those experts who provide really useful info on these forums.

I got H-1B for 2 years only (following my change of status from F1 visa) and that expires in Oct 2009. Fortunately, my current employer filed my LC & a timely I-140 both of which got approved. PD is Feb 2008. 140 got approved in Sep 2008. I'm waiting to get a copy from my employer's attorney for the approved I-140 notice.

I'm planning to change my employer in a month or so. I read a lot from all the different threads and forums and will summarize my questions below. Kindly respond to them at your convenience:

1) When I switch from my current employer to the next one and if this future employer agrees to my GC processing, I believe I can still use my PD from my prev employer but my new employer will have to start the GC process from scratch (PERM, I-140, etc.)

2) At what point in this 6th year of my H-1B & L1 duration can my future employer file for the H-1B extension? I was in US for 4 years in my L1 visa, then was in India for sometime before I came to US for studies under the F1 visa, then spent working under OPT for 2 months and finally my H-1B became effective.

3) i spent almost 8 months in India after my L1 visa (my assignment in US was done) and before I returned to US on a F1 visa. I believe I can capture those 8 months somehow. Pls confirm.

4) I have also spent 4 months outside US for vacation time - 2 months (during L1 visa), 1 month (during F1 visa) & 1 month (during H-1B visa). How do I recapture those months spent outside US for my H-1B extension if at all possible?

5) Because of these uncertain economic times, I may be unable to get a 2nd job for months now? At the same time, my current employer might terminate my job any given day. Given my labor & I140 approved status with my current employer, I understand I should first search for a future employer and a job ASAP before embarking on the H-1B extension and GC process. What happens if I have to leave US and not come back for years. Can I reuse the PD from my approved labor at a later time (2-3 years later) for restarting the GC process.

I would really like to contribute someway to this forum for all the help rendered. And my sincere apologies for sending such a detailed and long mail.

Thanks again for your help.

did you get any reply for this?
    thanks.
    bt

Comment

1. Yes
      2. Not clear from your post as to how many years you have used. Total is 6 years and you should have the labor filed 365 days prior to expiration. As you already have an approved I140, that can be used to extend H1b past the 6 years.
      3. 6 years is total of L1+H1 status spent inside the US. Re-capture is a simple thing. Any attorney would know.
      4. Same as above. Entry/exit stamps with proper documentation/note from attorney.
      5. Yes, I would think it is possible but confirm with your attorney as I am not 100% sure.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Thanks much for your comments.
        I will consult an attorney appropriately.

regards

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X