Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insufficient Assets; Affidavit of Support

Hi all.

The good news is my wife just got her "interview" letter.

The bad news is that they said the information I submitted on my Affidavit of Support was insufficient to satisfy the support test (but that I can add another sponsor and have my wife submit it at the interview).

Because I was a Peace Corps volunteer, I wasn't able to use the "income test" but I had enough assets in the bank, so I submitted a bank statement and explained my situation.

But then I received: "According to the current poverty guidelines, it does not appear you or any of your sponsors meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrant(s)."

The NVC provided me with no additional information as to why I failed to satisfy the support test.

I'm pretty sure I did the math correctly vis-a-vis the amount of assets I needed to have (i.e., poverty guideline for family of two approx. $16,000; 125% so approx. $20,000; spouse so 3 times that amount; equals approx $60,000). My bank statement reflected assets significantly in excess of that.

So my question is whether anyone has any thoughts on why I was "rejected"?

I sent just one month's bank statement (and it was a photocopy). It's a joint account with my dad (so he can access my account when I need funds; I live in Morocco).

But the NVC letter didn't say anything about the inadequacy of the documentation. It simply suggests that I don't meet the current poverty guidelines threshold. ...and the language that my wife can obtain an Affidavit from "an additional sponsor" seems to suggest that I can't correct my problem (which seems to imply that its not just a "quality of documentation problem but an "insufficient income" problem).

Any thoughts?

the income value they used is not based in how much you have in your assets, but in how much you earn a year, therefore the I-864 is based on your income tax so if you made in a year less than $20,000 AGI then you don't meet the poverty guidelines and need a co-sponsor.
    yulanliz

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X