Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Experience (2019 employent based Consular Processing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Experience (2019 employent based Consular Processing)

- March 05, 2019
    Hi All,
    I had decided that if I get a green card I will write my experience. So here I am. Im not much of writer so i'll try to be concise and direct. I was on H1b in usa from march 2005 until july 2008. I went back to India for a reason still unknown to me. So I filed my labor in dec 2007 and my I140 got approved in dec 2010.

Priority date: 14 dec 2007.
    Date on which I realized priority dates are moving fast: 27 june, 2017.

I asked my employer in 2013 if i could go back on H1b but he told me the scenario was not very good and i would be better off in India. I want to make it very clear here that my employer is gem of a man. He helped me through this entire procedure like an elder brother. Thats also because when people were leaving his company for small hikes I was earning good dollars for his company. So give and take I guess. The procedure through which I got my GC from India is called Consular Processing. When I saw that priority dates are moving fast in 2017 I asked my employer If I can file for GC he said fine lets ask attorney. Attorney asked us to file I-824. We filed it in November. In March I recieved a mail from USCIS saying my application for I-824 is rejected because while filing for i140 I was in India and so my employer had already clicked an option which said I would take my interview from India when priority date becomes current which is consular processing and there was no need to file i-824. What looked like a bad news actually became good news because all I had to do now was to appear for an interview as soon as my date becomes current. God has his plans and my date became current within a week.
    We submitted all document by may 5th (wont talk about docs because you can read up about them anywhere). I filed for myself, my wife and my son. You have to send one month old pics so just remember you will have to send a hard mail through post office or bluedart whatever suits you. I didn't want to take any chance so I sent everthing through courier and post office both as post office mail was only 500 rupees. We got a mail from USCIS on 17th of July to appear for an interview on 2 august. we only had 15 days. We had everything but they asked for an offer letter signed by employer signed withing 1 month. We tried but we were not able to get it on time so we asked for a scanned copy of the same from my employer. Apparently they did not look into it at all. We went for medicals on the 19th July. we went for fingerprints on 29th july.
    On 2nd morning. My wife, my son and I went to mumbai consulate. You have to appear in 2 windows. An indian looked at our papers in the first window and then asked us to wait. after waiting for half an hour we went to the main window to get interviewed by an american. Person asked us our names, looked at us and started writing on a peice of paper. He asked us mainly about the company, its ongoing projects, number of employees etc. Our interview was about 4 minute long and then he printed a paper and handed it to us. He asked us to get more documents. We thought it was denial so went into gita mode but somehow that paper didnt look a denial so i called consulate and apparently i wasnt. Its called 221 G white paper (google). I asked my attorney and employer. They gathered all the document and sent me through hard mail. I dropped them off on 29th august in mumbai. On 29th october we recieved our passports stamped with visa. I landed on the soils of USA on 16th November.

Experience in USA: I got cash and card from thomas cook. Card works in some places and in some places it doesnt. for example I rented a car. They took my card though they were not supposed to take it. Im still waiting for 220 dollars return from them so basically cash is better. To open a bank account you need two documents. passport is not one of them. I had SSN so SSN and DL. I was able to activate my DL the same day after a gap of about 10 years. cheapest hotel is about 55 dollars. renting a car for a distance of 10 miles is about 17-18 dollars.
    We went through a lot of paper work and anxiety during this process. There were times when my wife and I really thought if GC is worth all this trouble. I have a bit of advice for you guys.

Advice no. 1.Your biggest strength in this entire process is your employer. He has all the cards. You have zero cards. He is the one who is calling you. He hires an attorney. He has to prove to the US government whatever is to be proved and so he is taking all the risk. Respect him. If you are on H1b just stay with him and tell him he is helping you because he is actually doing that. A few thousand dollars here and there will not make a difference once you have the green card.

Advice no. 2. You can ask your attorney questions. take a few days. Write all the questions and send him. dont ask him one question a day. Attorneys have a very limited patience.

Advice no 3. You dont know if USA will grant you a GC until you are out of airport. Dont make any plans before that. I came out of airport and then I asked my wife to wind up things in India. When I left from India i did not know if USA will take me or reject me so keep that in mind.

Advice no 4. Ask your employer the cost of the procedure. They know it so plan your money well. It is a very expensive affair so be prepared.

Advice no 5. Do not get into a police situation when filing for GC. No khatpat with neigbors. No DUI. Just be safe.

Advice no 6. You will get a GC if you think you will be fruitful for USA as an economy. Thats the only criterion.

Regards,
    Vishal Agrawal

Thanks For sharing the details

Thanks Vishal for detailed information.

I am in similar situation however I need an attorney to take my case forward. If you please can share your or your attorney details, That will be of great help.

Mayukh

Comment

Originally posted by Mayukh2004 View Post
      Thanks Vishal for detailed information.

I am in similar situation however I need an attorney to take my case forward. If you please can share your or your attorney details, That will be of great help.

Mayukh

Look up for John Dorer / mark taylor in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by vishalwall76 View Post
        Look up for John Dorer / mark taylor in New York.

Thank you. I will contact them. Did you have any lawyer contacts in India to process this?

Thanks,
        Mayukh

Comment

Originally posted by Mayukh2004 View Post
          Thank you. I will contact them. Did you have any lawyer contacts in India to process this?

Thanks,
          Mayukh
          No Mayukh. No lawyer in India.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X