Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US police certificate

Hello,

I am sponsoring my parents for immigration. They had lived in the US many years ago for over a year in the past, but currently are living in their home country. In this case am I required to obtain a police certificate from US police on their behalf?

Thank you.

Not required. See Police Certificates. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...documents.html

"Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates."

Comment

That was what I was confused about... "former residents" I guess include temporary residents (for e.g. on student visa). I wasn't sure if "former residents" was only for permanent residents. Thank you for answering.

Comment

I guess you could read the word "resident" as in permanent resident. However, that would be odd because if an applicant was a current permanent resident, they wouldn't be also applying for an immigrant visa. Maybe the later, 'former resident', could apply to someone who lost their green card status, but the whole thing would seem a bit out of place.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X