Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sponsoring my parents - I-864 question

Hi,

I am sponsoring my parents to become US citizens. I have filed 2 separate USCIS applications as instructed. For I-864 (affidavit of support), I see that there is an option to include family members. In this case can I file one application for my mother and add my father in the family section? Or is it still mandatory to file 2 separate I-864s?

Thank you.

No. There are two separate I-130 petitions, so there are two separate I-864s, one for each I-130. The "family members" are the derivative beneficiaries, and your parents are in the Immediate Relative category, which cannot have derivative beneficiaries, so neither of their I-864s will have "family members".

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you very much. I have a follow up question -
      In the visa application (DS-260), there is a question that asks "is your spouse immigrating with you?"
      Should I input "no" on behalf of each of my parents, since their applications are separate?
      Thank you again.

Comment

It sounds like that question is very clear and the answer should be yes since they are immigrating together even though they are on separate petitions. Does it give you a section to explain if you mark yes?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X