Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-864 Question

Hello everyone,

I am currently petitioning for my sister and her family. On I-864, do I fill in the previous years total gross income based on both my spouse and I? ( we filed a joint income tax return)

Does he also need to fill in a I-864A if we are joint on our 1040EZ form?

Thanks!

Originally posted by coconutmonkey View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am currently petitioning for my sister and her family. On I-864, do I fill in the previous years total gross income based on both my spouse and I? ( we filed a joint income tax return)
    For the question that asks for your current individual income (Part 6 #7), you put your current (i.e. as of right now) salary. If your own income is sufficient, then you would not list anything in Person 1-4, and your current household income (Part 6 #20) would be the same as your current individual income. If your own income is insufficient and you need to count your spouse's income, you would list your spouse's income and current info in Person 1 (Part 6 #8-10) and his income would add with yours to produce your current household income (Part 6 #20).

For the question that asks for your "total income" number from your tax returns for the last 3 years, you must put the exact number it says on the "total income" line of your tax return, no matter if you filed jointly or separately. If you file jointly, the "total income" will include income from both of you, and that is fine.

Does he also need to fill in a I-864A if we are joint on our 1040EZ form?
    Only if you are counting his income in your current household income.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      For the question that asks for your current individual income (Part 6 #7), you put your current (i.e. as of right now) salary. If your own income is sufficient, then you would not list anything in Person 1-4, and your current household income (Part 6 #20) would be the same as your current individual income. If your own income is insufficient and you need to count your spouse's income, you would list your spouse's income and current info in Person 1 (Part 6 #8-10) and his income would add with yours to produce your current household income (Part 6 #20).

For the question that asks for your "total income" number from your tax returns for the last 3 years, you must put the exact number it says on the "total income" line of your tax return, no matter if you filed jointly or separately. If you file jointly, the "total income" will include income from both of you, and that is fine.

Only if you are counting his income in your current household income.
      Thank you so much for your answer. I have one more question in this regard. I am indeed counting his income to sponsor my sister and her family with total of 3 members. We also intend to sponsor my brother and his family which is another 3 so a totally of 6 are being sponsored. With that mentioned, do we put 3 for each case of sponsor or do we put down 6 on each form and somehow mention the 2 different cases on the last page?

Comment

Are visa numbers becoming available for both cases around the same time or something? You should not need to file I-864 until the Consular Processing or Adjustment of Status stage.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          Are visa numbers becoming available for both cases around the same time or something? You should not need to file I-864 until the Consular Processing or Adjustment of Status stage.
          Yes since I submitted the petition for both at the same time around 2 decades ago, both cases became available this year.
          Last edited by coconutmonkey; 10-14-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your answer. I have one more question in this regard. I am indeed counting his income to sponsor my sister and her family with total of 3 members. We also intend to sponsor my brother and his family which is another 3 so a totally of 6 are being sponsored. With that mentioned, do we put 3 for each case of sponsor or do we put down 6 on each form and somehow mention the 2 different cases on the last page?
            3 for each, if the other family has not already become permanent residents yet

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X