Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian Visa (U.S Citizen, Pakistani Origin Renounced)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Visa (U.S Citizen, Pakistani Origin Renounced)

Hi,

***The thread is intended for people of Pak origin who have applied for Indian visa on a U.S passport after renouncing their Pak Citizenshipass

I intend on travelling to India this summer, and am a U.S citizen, but was born in Pakistan. To ease my traveling and for other job purposes I have renounced my Pakistani Citizenship.

On the Indian Embassy website it states people of Pak origin can only apply for a visa on their U.S passport if they can provide proof of their renunciation of Pak citizenship (which i can). I was under the impression that by renouncing my citizenship and applying on my U.S passport, i would be treated as a U.S citizen and would be able to get either the 5yr or 10 yr multiple entry visa, and the processing time wouldn't take as long. But when I asked one the BLS International reps (the company that handles Indian Visas here in D.C) he said that even if I apply on my U.S passport with renunciation proof I would have to wait for at least 3 months (at least, could take much longer than that) & will only be issued a 3 month single entry visa by the end of it.

This doesn't seem to make any sense, as then what is the whole point of requiring a renunciation certificate from the Pak embassy, and making the people go through that whole arduous process, because you can get a single entry 3 month visa by applying on just your Pakistani passport?!! My situation is such that I will have to travel to India multiple times over the coming 2-3 yrs and that is why i was willing to go through the process of renunciation and applying on my U.S passport?

Can anyone here tell me if they have been through this process? People who have applied on U.S passport after renouncing Pak citizenship? Did you just get the 3 month visa or are the BLS people just scaring me?

Thankyou for your responses

If you have Pakistan origin, your process will take months and there is no way around it.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Any luck with getting Indian visa after renouncing Pak Citizenship?

Any luck with Indian visa after renouncing Pak Citizenship? If you were successful in getting visa what did you do to satisfy Indian embassy/consulate?

Comment

Originally posted by bashir87 View Post
        Hi,

***The thread is intended for people of Pak origin who have applied for Indian visa on a U.S passport after renouncing their Pak Citizenshipass

I intend on travelling to India this summer, and am a U.S citizen, but was born in Pakistan. To ease my traveling and for other job purposes I have renounced my Pakistani Citizenship.

On the Indian Embassy website it states people of Pak origin can only apply for a visa on their U.S passport if they can provide proof of their renunciation of Pak citizenship (which i can). I was under the impression that by renouncing my citizenship and applying on my U.S passport, i would be treated as a U.S citizen and would be able to get either the 5yr or 10 yr multiple entry visa, and the processing time wouldn't take as long. But when I asked one the BLS International reps (the company that handles Indian Visas here in D.C) he said that even if I apply on my U.S passport with renunciation proof I would have to wait for at least 3 months (at least, could take much longer than that) & will only be issued a 3 month single entry visa by the end of it.

This doesn't seem to make any sense, as then what is the whole point of requiring a renunciation certificate from the Pak embassy, and making the people go through that whole arduous process, because you can get a single entry 3 month visa by applying on just your Pakistani passport?!! My situation is such that I will have to travel to India multiple times over the coming 2-3 yrs and that is why i was willing to go through the process of renunciation and applying on my U.S passport?

Can anyone here tell me if they have been through this process? People who have applied on U.S passport after renouncing Pak citizenship? Did you just get the 3 month visa or are the BLS people just scaring me?

1. Benefit of renunciation certificate is you dont have to apply using your Pakistani passport, dont have to use a specific port of entry like Mumbai, dont need an Indian sponsor for which your movement in India is limited and tracked for a specific city to which you got your visa (for example if your work place is Mumbai, your Visa is limited to that city if you use your Pakistan passport), dont have to report at District police HQ (SP office), NO visit from local intelligence officer to interview you, no need to make entry and exit paper work at local SP office (if you dont do this, you dont get a visa next time). See, how much benefits you get with a renunciation certificate in hand.

2. If you need multiple entry visa, your reasons must be more compelling that work (say you are a US CEO who outsources $B work to India and your multiple entry to the country is must for your continues work with Indian entity and economy, support it with letters etc)

3. Usually, mindset is not to issue multiple entry visa to men compared to women (of course US citizens have a situation like you)

Hope this helps.

Best,

<Just advise, no legal help>
        Last edited by Matt_gk; 05-09-2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Could you please tell how long did it take you to get renunciation certificate? Right from the time you applied, got provisional letter and to get renunciation of citizenship certificate.

The reason i'm asking is because i too have applied and waiting for it. Please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Benefits of renouncing Pakistani citizenship

Hi,

Hi Matt_gk,
            Can you please elaborate on the benefits of obtaining India visa after renouncing Pakistani citizenship? I have a renunciation certificate and am planning to apply for a business visa on my US passport, but don't want to go through the trouble if the visa will be restricted to a single city, restrictions on port of entry etc. The benefits you mentioned are exactly what I am looking for and just want to know if your knowledge is based on personal experience/information from India officials etc. Thanks again. Really appreciate the detailed response.

Comment

Originally posted by viraniak View Post
              Hi Matt_gk,
              Can you please elaborate on the benefits of obtaining India visa after renouncing Pakistani citizenship? I have a renunciation certificate and am planning to apply for a business visa on my US passport, but don't want to go through the trouble if the visa will be restricted to a single city, restrictions on port of entry etc. The benefits you mentioned are exactly what I am looking for and just want to know if your knowledge is based on personal experience/information from India officials etc. Thanks again. Really appreciate the detailed response.
              Viraniak - my question to you is the same.. Could you please tell how long did it take you to get renunciation certificate? Right from the time you applied, got provisional letter(letter stating all docs received) and to get final renunciation of citizenship certificate.

The reason i'm asking is because i too have applied and waiting for it. Please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mp3yug View Post
                Viraniak - my question to you is the same.. Could you please tell how long did it take you to get renunciation certificate? Right from the time you applied, got provisional letter(letter stating all docs received) and to get final renunciation of citizenship certificate.

I received the provisional letter in about 1 to 2 weeks. The certificate arrived 5 months later.

Comment

I received the provisional letter in about 1 to 2 weeks. The certificate arrived 5 months later.
                  Thank you for replying. I've mailed the package to NY embassy on 28th and so far haven't received the letter yet.

Comment

Re

Hi Matt_gk,
                    Sorry, I dint check the thread earlier.

If you are applying for a business visa, immigration/intelligence officials will surely check with the company that is sponsoring you. 3 months minimum for the process.
                    With US passport and renunciation certificate, India may or may not issue a multiple entry visa. However, for sure you will get a single entry Visa for 3 or 6 months duration from the date of visa.

With US passport and renunciation certificate, there will be no restrictions like port of entry, city and no need for police reporting.

This is from my personal experience of getting India visa for my wife (1st using her pakistani passport and 2nd using US passport and renunciation certificate). Also, i have helped a client of mine to get India B visa. In that case immigration/intelligence visited the sponsoring company to check credentials.

I decided to share this because there is not much information available in web when i first tried.

PS: case to case may vary; not a professional opinion, just sharing personal experience

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_gk View Post
                      Sorry, I dint check the thread earlier.

If you are applying for a business visa, immigration/intelligence officials will surely check with the company that is sponsoring you. 3 months minimum for the process.
                      With US passport and renunciation certificate, India may or may not issue a multiple entry visa. However, for sure you will get a single entry Visa for 3 or 6 months duration from the date of visa.

With US passport and renunciation certificate, there will be no restrictions like port of entry, city and no need for police reporting.

This is from my personal experience of getting India visa for my wife (1st using her pakistani passport and 2nd using US passport and renunciation certificate). Also, i have helped a client of mine to get India B visa. In that case immigration/intelligence visited the sponsoring company to check credentials.

I decided to share this because there is not much information available in web when i first tried.

PS: case to case may vary; not a professional opinion, just sharing personal experience
                      Hello Matt,
                      How long did it take for your wife to get Indian visa on US passport?

The first time we applied for visa on Pak passport she got it in 4-5 months.
                      I recently sent my wife's application to CKGS along with renunciation certificate for multiple entry visa on her US passport. Her passport was returned back in a weeks time and CKGS has sent her application to Embassy for further verification and decision on visa.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by mp3yug View Post
                        Hello Matt,
                        How long did it take for your wife to get Indian visa on US passport?

The first time we applied for visa on Pak passport she got it in 4-5 months.
                        I recently sent my wife's application to CKGS along with renunciation certificate for multiple entry visa on her US passport. Her passport was returned back in a weeks time and CKGS has sent her application to Embassy for further verification and decision on visa.
                        It took about 3 months. From embassy it goes to Delhi for approval. Local immigration and intelligence officers verify your contact person in destination/place you plan to visit. That process will take about 4-6 weeks. Once approval from Delhi comes - in our case total 3 months - CKGS will inform you and ask you to bring passport for Visa stamping. Single/Multiple entry visa is decided by consulate. Hope this helps

Comment

Hi all,

I just applied for renunciation of my Pakistani citizenship and got approved/sent the certificate over email. I wanted to apply for the Indian visa but wanted to see if anyone experienced the same recently? How long does the application for visa approval take? Can you apply for a multiple entry visa that's valid for a year or more? I was born in India but then became a Pakistani citizen. My husband is an OCI and his family lives there. Would love to go visit!

Comment

Hi Goguali,

Yes you can get a multiple entry visa for 5 years, provided you apply for an Entry or X visa. You have to submit your husband's OCI along with the application. Keep in mind that all information online will say otherwise, but I was able to do this. It was approved by MHA and stamped by the consulate.

The logic offered by the MHA is as follows - if you apply for a tourist visa, it means you have no blood relatives in India, and therefore you will not be visiting India often. In this case, a three or six month visa is granted. However, if you apply for an entry visa, the understanding is that you have an Indian passport holder or OCI holder as your relative and you will be visiting India often.

Comment

Originally posted by goquali View Post
                              Hi all,

I just applied for renunciation of my Pakistani citizenship and got approved/sent the certificate over email. I wanted to apply for the Indian visa but wanted to see if anyone experienced the same recently? How long does the application for visa approval take? Can you apply for a multiple entry visa that's valid for a year or more? I was born in India but then became a Pakistani citizen. My husband is an OCI and his family lives there. Would love to go visit!
                              Hello,

I am in the process of applying for the renunciation of Pakistani Citizenship certificate, are you able to advise how long the process took for you since you received your certificate via email? thank you for your assistance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X