Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the PIO to OCI as per new law

Hi,

I am PIO holder from 2002. I have read i have to change it to OCI. I stay in India and i am traveling out of country in May,can i still travel with my valid PIO? Is there any deadline for changing it to OCI?

Originally posted by Ivana View Post
    Hi,

I am PIO holder from 2002. I have read i have to change it to OCI. I stay in India and i am traveling out of country in May,can i still travel with my valid PIO? Is there any deadline for changing it to OCI?
    b
    Last edited by dce3535; 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dce3535 View Post
      b

New Rules for PIO
      Effective 30th September 2014 – as per the Notification of the Ministry of Home Affairs, the PIO Rules have changed:
      A PIO Card issued to an applicant shall be valid for his lifetime from the date of its issue provided that such applicant has a valid US or Foreign Passport.
      The above is valid for existing PIO Cards and as well as New PIO Cards issued post 30th September 2014.
      PIO Cards holders if staying in India for a period of over 6 months need not go to FRRO (Local) and get their extended stay endorsed. This ruling is done away with

Comment

Originally posted by Ivana View Post
        Hi,

Here is the latest clarification from Govt of India:
        As per the extant instructions-

PIO scheme has been merged with OCI scheme w.e.f. 9th January 2015 and new PIO cards are not being issued w.e.f. this date. The validity of existing PIO cards is automatically extended till LIFELONG and it will remain valid.

1. It is not mandatory to convert PIO to OCI. It is optional.
        2. No time frame has been prescribed for conversion. It can be done at any time if the holder desires to convert it.
        3. Conversion is GRATIS and no application fee is charged. Therefore, the question of penalty does not arise as it is not time bound.
        4. Existing cards are valid Lifelong and the validity stamp on it may be affixed by any FRRO, Indian Missions or even Immigration Check Posts, if desired by anyone. Validity stamp is NOT MANDATORY.
        5. Conversion applications from PIO to OCI need to be submitted to the same office, which originally issued the PIO cards, since these cards were issued by the Indian Mission under their delegated powers and entire records/data of the applications are available with them only.

for further queries related to OCI, please write to [email protected]

Visa Support

Hope this helps!

Comment

Here is the latest clarification from Govt of India:
          As per the extant instructions-

PIO scheme has been merged with OCI scheme w.e.f. 9th January 2015 and new PIO cards are not being issued w.e.f. this date. The validity of existing PIO cards is automatically extended till LIFELONG and it will remain valid.

1. It is not mandatory to convert PIO to OCI. It is optional.
          2. No time frame has been prescribed for conversion. It can be done at any time if the holder desires to convert it.
          3. Conversion is GRATIS and no application fee is charged. Therefore, the question of penalty does not arise as it is not time bound.
          4. Existing cards are valid Lifelong and the validity stamp on it may be affixed by any FRRO, Indian Missions or even Immigration Check Posts, if desired by anyone. Validity stamp is NOT MANDATORY.
          5. Conversion applications from PIO to OCI need to be submitted to the same office, which originally issued the PIO cards, since these cards were issued by the Indian Mission under their delegated powers and entire records/data of the applications are available with them only.

for further queries related to OCI, please write to [email protected]

Visa Support

Hope this helps!
          This sounds much better than what we've been reading so far on Embassy/Consulate websites regarding mandatory conversion of PIO to OCI and the deadline for the same, but is there an official link for above clarification that you have posted? Knowing the babu bureaucracy, it's hard to believe it until we see it posted on Govt websites.

Comment

Originally posted by indocan View Post
            This sounds much better than what we've been reading so far on Embassy/Consulate websites regarding mandatory conversion of PIO to OCI and the deadline for the same, but is there an official link for above clarification that you have posted? Knowing the babu bureaucracy, it's hard to believe it until we see it posted on Govt websites.

UNFORTUNATELY, NO OFFICIAL LINK. I ALSO HAVE THIS REPLY FROM THE HELPLINE OF CONSULATE GENERAL NEW YORK:

DEAR APPLICANT,
            PLEASE REFER TO YOUR E-MAIL REGARDING PIO.
            WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED BY THE CONCERNED SECTION THAT YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH PIO CARD, VALID USA PASSPORT AND USA PASSPORT ON WHICH PIO WAS ISSUED. WHEN YOU COME BACK PLEASE APPLY FOR OCI.
            REGARDS,

HELPLINE
            CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA
            NEW YORK
            Tel: 212-774 0635

P.S. Send us your feedback by e-mail and follow us on: http://www.indiacgny.org/, ******** and Twitter so that we could improve our system.

Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 5:08 PM
            To: [email protected]
            Subject: Travel to India with PIO card

My minor child has a valid PIO card, but has been issued a new US passport, which has not been endorsed on his PIO card ( and this endorsement service is no longer provided). We will be traveling to India on May 30th, and do not have time to apply and complete the process of applying for an OCI in lieu of the PIO card. Can my child travel to India if we carry the PIO card along with his old and new US passports? I called CKGS earlier today (Reference ID 489781) and spoke to Wxyz, who informed me that a minor is not allowed to travel to India with PIO card and old/new US passports. HE advised me to apply for a tourist visa for $120.

Could you please clarify if this is correct?

Regards,

xyz

Comment

UNFORTUNATELY, NO OFFICIAL LINK. I ALSO HAVE THIS REPLY FROM THE HELPLINE OF CONSULATE GENERAL NEW YORK:

DEAR APPLICANT,
              WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED BY THE CONCERNED SECTION THAT YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH PIO CARD, VALID USA PASSPORT AND USA PASSPORT ON WHICH PIO WAS ISSUED. WHEN YOU COME BACK PLEASE APPLY FOR OCI.
              REGARDS,

HELPLINE
              NEW YORK

P.S. Send us your feedback by e-mail and follow us on: http://www.indiacgny.org/, ******** and Twitter so that we could improve our system.

My minor child has a valid PIO card, but has been issued a new US passport, which has not been endorsed on his PIO card ( and this endorsement service is no longer provided). We will be traveling to India on May 30th, and do not have time to apply and complete the process of applying for an OCI in lieu of the PIO card. Can my child travel to India if we carry the PIO card along with his old and new US passports? I called CKGS earlier today (Reference ID 489781) and spoke to Wxyz, who informed me that a minor is not allowed to travel to India with PIO card and old/new US passports. HE advised me to apply for a tourist visa for $120.

Regards,

xyz
              Very interesting.. Why CKGS is sending different message to apply for OCI imdtly or tourist visa?. Is it because they are getting processing fee for every transfer?. Gazette information PDF clearly shows existing valid PIO is considered as OCI for all practical purposes?.. Thats the same thing Modi said in US and CANADA visits...

Comment

DEAR APPLICANT,
                REGARDS,

HELPLINE
                NEW YORK

Regards,

xyz
                Dear Applicant,

Kindly send your application details at [email protected] to better assist you.

Please mention the link of this post in your email.

Regards,
                CKGS USA Team.

Comment

Update..

It’s 2021, and it’s time to make some changes. From now on, Indianembassy.org will run under a new name: UKMoney.net. You will find the latest news and honest online broker reviews. Go to the UKMoney.net homepage.  

Says OCI conversion of a PIO holder is optional..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X