First OCI issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First OCI issued

Technically the PM issued the first OCIs today.

There were two recipients, and it was really a song and dance - at this point no "normal" applications have been processed.

First OCI Issued

I was planning to for a Visa for my newly born daughter in this month since we are planning to go to India in this summer. I just came to know about this OCI, but suprprisingly, I have not found any references of this on Indian counsalate site.

I assume OCI brings lot of benefits. Any idea when Indian counsalate will start accepting normal applications for OCI's in the USA and how long this process may take from the date of filing an application ?

Does it make sense to wait for another month (Until Feb) for OCI ?

Any thoughts on this ?

Dhruva...
    Last edited by Dhruva; 01-08-2006, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhruva
      I was planning to for a Visa for my newly born daughter in this month since we are planning to go to India in this summer. I just came to know about this OCI, but suprprisingly, I have not found any references of this on Indian counsalate site.

I assume OCI brings lot of benefits. Any idea when Indian counsalate will start accepting normal applications for OCI's in the USA and how long this process may take from the date of filing an application ?

Does it make sense to wait for another month (Until Feb) for OCI ?

Any thoughts on this ?

Dhruva...
      I applied for OCI in November 2004, and am still waiting.

Most consulates in the US will start accepting applications from today 9 Jan 06. For a child you can apply for a PIO card and upgrade to a OCI - this is cheaper than going for a OCI direct. For an adult, go for a 6 month visa and apply for OCI when you get back.

Comment

POI or OCI

Originally posted by PIO
        I applied for OCI in November 2004, and am still waiting.

Most consulates in the US will start accepting applications from today 9 Jan 06. For a child you can apply for a PIO card and upgrade to a OCI - this is cheaper than going for a OCI direct. For an adult, go for a 6 month visa and apply for OCI when you get back.

I think you are absolutely right. I just looked at the san fransisco consulate website and they are accepting applications from today. The fee for this is $275 whereas the fee for PIO is $155. Moreover, since OCI has to come from Inidia, it obviusly takes longer than PIO.

So I am planning to go for PIO for the time being and later upgrade it to OCI.

Thanks a lot for your advise..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X