• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI Card for New Born

Hi,

I have questions regarding OCI card application for new born baby:

Details:
    Self :
    1) Indian Citizen with Valid Indian Passport.
    2) On H1B Visa.
    3) Visa is expired.
    4) New valid approved petition valid till Oct 2016.
    Wife :
    2) On H1B Visa.
    3) Valid Visa till 2016.
    Newborn:
    1) US Citizen with Valid US Passport

Scenario:
    I am planning to travel along with newborn for a month trip to India in December.

Questions:
    1) Is my newborn eligible for OCI card?
    2) If yes to 1, My Visa is expired , does it makes my daughter ineligible for OCI card application?
    3) If i wanted to travel to India in December can i get a visa for newborn, if yes, which visa?
    4) if i get the visa then after my return to US in 2016 January , can i apply for OCI card?
    5) Can i apply for visa and OCI in parallel?

Thanks for your help!!

Originally posted by pulkit.kala View Post
    Hi,

I have questions regarding OCI card application for new born baby:

Details:
    Self :
    2) On H1B Visa.
    3) Visa is expired.
    4) New valid approved petition valid till Oct 2016.
    Wife :
    2) On H1B Visa.
    3) Valid Visa till 2016.
    Newborn:
    1) US Citizen with Valid US Passport

Scenario:
    I am planning to travel along with newborn for a month trip to India in December.

Questions:
    1) Is my newborn eligible for OCI card?
    2) If yes to 1, My Visa is expired , does it makes my daughter ineligible for OCI card application?
    3) If i wanted to travel to India in December can i get a visa for newborn, if yes, which visa?
    4) if i get the visa then after my return to US in 2016 January , can i apply for OCI card?
    5) Can i apply for visa and OCI in parallel?

Thanks for your help!!
    Answers (as I know):
    1. Yes
    2. Not sure, OCI checklist on ckgs website says "Parent's VISA MUST BE VALID FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS". I guess you should be fine because I believe you have a new I-94 valid until 2016 (based on the approved petition). You may want to check with CKGS on this.
    3. Yes, you can get Tourst visa which is generally valid for a max of 6 month stay each time he/she visits India. Details on http://www.in.ckgs.us/visa/type-of-v...ist-visa.shtml
    My child's OCI application is under process. However, I have obtained Tourist visa already because I have a plan to travel to India in between.

I think you can also try Indian e-TOURIST VISA (eTV) on arrival. Details https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html

4. Yes, you can apply for OCI card for your child as long as you have valid visa and other requirements in checklist met.
    5. Yes, you can apply for visa and OCI parallel.

Usually, OCI process takes about three months (depending on your location. I heard the NY applications are processed much faster than other centers. SFO is very slow. My child's OCI application is with SFO, and is under process for more than 75 days. I think you better apply for OCI after you comeback from India trip. Other option can be you can submit the OCI application before you leave to India, and then can receive the OCI card after you comeback (OCI process takes about 2 to 3 months, or may be more in some cases).,

Comment

[QUOTE=vijaykanamatareddy;430088]Answers (as I know):

2. Not sure, OCI checklist on ckgs website says "Parent's VISA MUST BE VALID FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS". I guess you should be fine because I believe you have a new I-94 valid until 2016 (based on the approved petition). You may want to check with CKGS on this.

Same situation I had with my visa expired 4 months ago and my wife's 1 year ago. Since we both have extension approved, it was not a problem. Person at CKGS was knowledgeable and just took copies of approved H1b petition and DS 2019.

Hope it helps.

Comment

[QUOTE=sans1981;431212]
        Originally posted by vijaykanamatareddy View Post
        Answers (as I know):

Same situation I had with my visa expired 4 months ago and my wife's 1 year ago. Since we both have extension approved, it was not a problem. Person at CKGS was knowledgeable and just took copies of approved H1b petition and DS 2019.

Hope it helps.

Hello,

I have a questions on OCI & Tourist Visa requirements.
        My I797 is expired already and extension is in progress which I can expect approval any time from now within mid of Jan 2016. Since I have valid visa stamping on my passport(July 2016) and I-94 is also valid(Jul 2016), can I apply for OCI/Tourist Visa with valid visa and I-94 except the petition. SO that I can expedite my travel plan.

Also do you have any idea that how long it would take to obtain Tourist visa. I know OCI would take a lot since I have a travel plan, I am planning to take tourist visa and OCI in parallel.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X