PIO card cancellation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIO card cancellation

My case was a passenger holding a foreign passport with a PIO card valid til 2029 going to india. Upon reaching the immigration in india the officer said the PIO card has been cancelled.

My questions are
    1. Is it possible for the immigration officer to put a cancelled stamp on the PIO card even though it is still valid?
    2. Can the passenger still hold the cancelled PIO card? or the immigration officer must take it?
    3. In India, foreign passport holder with a valid PIO card is no longer allowed to enter?

Originally posted by Marie Angeli David View Post
    My case was a passenger holding a foreign passport with a PIO card valid til 2029 going to india. Upon reaching the immigration in india the officer said the PIO card has been cancelled.

My questions are
    1. Is it possible for the immigration officer to put a cancelled stamp on the PIO card even though it is still valid?
    2. Can the passenger still hold the cancelled PIO card? or the immigration officer must take it?
    3. In India, foreign passport holder with a valid PIO card is no longer allowed to enter?
    It is looks bit strange as PIO cards are valid for lifetime. Even CKGS website says "All PIO cards issued till 09 January 2015 are deemed to be valid lifelong. However, it is highly recommended that you apply for an OCI".

1) I don't think immigration officer can put cancelled stamp on PIO
    2) CKGS is returning the cancelled PIO (with Cancelled stamp) along with new OCI to the applicant. So applicant will have the cancelled PIO with him. Hence, i believe immigration officer should not take the cancelled PIO with him
    3) I could see in this forum that people are still travelling to India with PIO

Below is from CKGS website

New Rules for PIO

Effective 30th September 2014 – as per the Notification of the Ministry of Home Affairs, the PIO Rules have changed:

A PIO Card issued to an applicant shall be valid for his lifetime from the date of its issue provided that such applicant has a valid US or Foreign Passport.
    The above is valid for existing PIO Cards and as well as New PIO Cards issued post 30th September 2014.
    PIO Cards holders if staying in India for a period of over 6 months need not go to FRRO (Local) and get their extended stay endorsed. This ruling is done away with.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X