Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to INDIA with Old OCI Card and Renewed Citizens Passport

Hi Friends,

I have a question on travelling to India. My son having OCI card issued on JAN 2017 , that time my son having old passport(he is US citizen). Now he has a New Passport. we planned to go to India on JUne 7 th 2017. I do not have time to renew OCI card, I tried to apply Tourist Visa with CKGS but they said once you have OCI you can't apply for Tourist Visa ( 10 years multiple entry). So i asked what is the other option, they said i have to apply for re-issue OCI card. But the thing is if i applied now i can't get it back with in 2 months because my application goes to Washington DC center.

I read couple of messages on forum , people are saying that if you have " U " sticker on your passport you are ok to travel. But i didn't see anything in passport or else OCI Card.

Here is the below message i read from other websites

"For OCI applications lodged from 1st September 2015 onwards, applicants will be receiving only OCI cards and NO U-visa stickers. Therefore, they are not
    required to submit their foreign passports for stamping. OCI cards in respect of such applicants will be sent to their postal address. "

Please advise me can i travel to india with OCI + Old Passport + New Passport ? I am having POI card ( they stamped as " cancelled Accquired OCI Dated FEB 10 2017 ")

Thanks
    Ravi B

I have the exact same question. Is there a way to confirm with any government bodies?

Originally posted by RaviBandaru View Post
    Hi Friends,

I have a question on travelling to India. My son having OCI card issued on JAN 2017 , that time my son having old passport(he is US citizen). Now he has a New Passport. we planned to go to India on JUne 7 th 2017. I do not have time to renew OCI card, I tried to apply Tourist Visa with CKGS but they said once you have OCI you can't apply for Tourist Visa ( 10 years multiple entry). So i asked what is the other option, they said i have to apply for re-issue OCI card. But the thing is if i applied now i can't get it back with in 2 months because my application goes to Washington DC center.

I read couple of messages on forum , people are saying that if you have " U " sticker on your passport you are ok to travel. But i didn't see anything in passport or else OCI Card.

"For OCI applications lodged from 1st September 2015 onwards, applicants will be receiving only OCI cards and NO U-visa stickers. Therefore, they are not
    required to submit their foreign passports for stamping. OCI cards in respect of such applicants will be sent to their postal address. "

Please advise me can i travel to india with OCI + Old Passport + New Passport ? I am having POI card ( they stamped as " cancelled Accquired OCI Dated FEB 10 2017 ")

Thanks
    Ravi B
    I have the exact same question. Is there a way to confirm with any government bodies directly? Traveling less than 20 days so any answer is appreciated. Thanks
    -Suresh M

Comment

I have the same question

I have the same question and our travel is in 3 weeks.

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

Suresh M

Comment

Re-issue of OCI

From the MEA site: http://www.mea.gov.in/oci-related-matters.htm → For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued. For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport. (If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the age of 50 years, then there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.) For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

Comment

Old passport and new passport with OCI

There are other replies on this forum, where folks have travelled with old passport, on which the OCI was issued on, and new passport without any issue.
          Some of them have mentioned that they don't even ask for the old passport as long as you have OCI

Comment

My daughter received OCI card last week and there is no expiry date on the OCI Card. So my understanding we can travel with the new passport without any issues...at the max they will give visa on arrival and recommend to apply again once we are back to US as that exists now most of the airports.

Comment

Hi Friends,

Thanks
              Ravi B
              As per law you can’t travel and sometime airline will stop boarding you if they know these rules. I am in same situation as you have but I spoke to NY consulate and they said renewal takes only 8 business days so I applied and waiting.

Comment

Have same question as well. This whole issue of having to renew OCI only for children (and senior, although the children's passport needs to be renewed every 5 years) kind of snuck up on me. SFO consulate is saying 60 business days + 8 days matching + 2 days shipping. What gives? I have nothing against having to renew it except that it is kind of surprise and the time it takes.

Has anybody recently travelled to India with the OCI/ Uvisa on the old passport (along with new passport of course) recently in last few months? Any comments much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by dhinchak View Post
                  Have same question as well. This whole issue of having to renew OCI only for children (and senior, although the children's passport needs to be renewed every 5 years) kind of snuck up on me. SFO consulate is saying 60 business days + 8 days matching + 2 days shipping. What gives? I have nothing against having to renew it except that it is kind of surprise and the time it takes.

Has anybody recently travelled to India with the OCI/ Uvisa on the old passport (along with new passport of course) recently in last few months? Any comments much appreciated.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kindly post your experiences

I see lot of queries about travelling to India with out OCI reissue and old passport with out U - Visa. Most of them who posted these queries might have already completed their travel. It would be great if you post your experiences here for the benefit of others who are in the same boat.

Update : sent an email inquiring about the same to CGI and got the following reply.

"Your child may travel on OCI Card carrying both Old and New Passports.

Your child may apply for OCI Re-issue when he comes back from his travel to India to update the information on his OCI Card."
                    Last edited by navk; 04-05-2018, 02:49 PM. Reason: update

Comment

OCI + Old Passport + New Passport

Hi Friends,

Thanks
                      Ravi B

Question: Please advise me can i travel to india with OCI + Old Passport + New Passport ? Answer: YES

Comment

Originally posted by navk View Post
                        I see lot of queries about travelling to India with out OCI reissue and old passport with out U - Visa. Most of them who posted these queries might have already completed their travel. It would be great if you post your experiences here for the benefit of others who are in the same boat.

Update : sent an email inquiring about the same to CGI and got the following reply.

Your child may apply for OCI Re-issue when he comes back from his travel to India to update the information on his OCI Card."
                        For Recent New OCI applications, they are taking passport along with application in initial step and returning USA passport within one week after they verifying it but OCI issue process will continue for another 60 days.
                        i checked my kid USA passport which was returned and it does not have any U Visa sticker. was this old process?? i am not sure what is this U sticker in passport?

Comment

Originally posted by vikky789 View Post
                          For Recent New OCI applications, they are taking passport along with application in initial step and returning USA passport within one week after they verifying it but OCI issue process will continue for another 60 days.
                          i checked my kid USA passport which was returned and it does not have any U Visa sticker. was this old process?? i am not sure what is this U sticker in passport?
                          As per the new changes, they are getting away from issuing U visas in the passport.

Comment

I believe this is one of the clear cut answer on this topic of minor travel with new passport and no U-Visa in old one for OCI

Can you please provide an update on your travel and email id you used to communicate to CGI?

Comment

I personally went to both CKGS visa office and Indian Consulate general office in Chicago to inquire about this, as I would be travelling with my kids soon.
                              I received the same response from both of them that a minor may travel to India carrying OCI card + new US passport + old US passport, if there is no time to get the OCI card updated with new passport information before travel date.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X