Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help for Pio card

Hi

my daughter was born in U.S.A last month. so i want to apply PIO Card for her. so could u plz guide me what documents required to apply pio card and how soon i can get ?

thanx

Originally posted by gousgbf
    Hi

my daughter was born in U.S.A last month. so i want to apply PIO Card for her. so could u plz guide me what documents required to apply pio card and how soon i can get ?

thanx
    What's the best way to do depends on your personal situation and plans. I would ask the following questions:

(1) Is one of her parents an Indian citizen?
    (2) Are you planning a trip with her in the near future, or do you have more time?
    (3) Is it a round trip, or one-way to India?
    (4) Are you planning for your daughter to spend more time living in the US or in India?

If the answer to (1) is yes, she's eligible for an Indian passport too. You have to think whether that's better for her or not. PIO means she will lose Indian citizenship. But Indian passport means she will keep both citizenships and can choose one at 18.

If the answer to (2) is yes, you might want to delay the PIO until later. You should allow a couple of months (first must get her a US passport, then must get her a PIO, and each takes a few weeks). If not eligible for Indian passport (see (1) above), then fastest thing is to get her a US passport plus Indian visa.

If the answer to (3) is one-way to India, you should consider getting her an Indian passport. You can consider options about US passport for her at a later date at your leisure. Again, she won't lose US citizenship.

If the answer to (3) is round-trip, the US might insist that she get a US passport on the return leg of the trip. It's still probably faster to get an Indian passport in the US, then get a US passport in India. But getting a US passport cancels her Indian citizenship, and I'm not sure what procedure you need to follow to make her then be in valid status in India. You should ask your Indian consulate for advice on how to do a US-India-US round trip starting with an Indian passport.

If the answer to (4) is India, it's worth seriously considering whether you want to preserve her Indian citizenship so she doesn't have to spend her childhood living as a foreigner in her home.

If after thinking about all of the above, you still want PIO for her, here are the steps:

1. Apply for a US passport for her. You can get the application at most main US post offices, and submit by mail. It requires typical stuff like birth certificate and passport photos.

2. After getting her US passport, apply for a PIO for her. You can download the application from the web site of your local Indian consulate, and submit by mail. It requires her passport, birth certificate, and proof of Indian origin (if you are a former Indian citizen, then that's copy of your old passport, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Comment

Read New
      Immihelp Support
      No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X